Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

93 MR2 Turbo guy switched to a 97 GSX!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Default 93 MR2 Turbo guy switched to a 97 GSX!

All;

I was looking for something to replace my 93 MR2 Turbo and 325IS and always loved the GSX. I did the standard stuff to the Mister Two and kept the performance parts from the 2. I now have a stock 97 GSX with 52K miles and want to get it to run in the 13's. It is an automatic, which I specifically looked for. I hated running a turbo in autocross due to boost loss when shifting and have kids.

Enough about my life story. What is it going to take to get to get in to the 13s and how much abuse will the GSX take before I break it? I still have my AVCR and AFC and assume I will need to do intake and exhaust, maybe fuel pump, injectors, FMIC, and maybe a turbo. Don't have lots of money (don’t be fooled the 325 was older). I bought the G-Tech RR accelerometer so I can check horsepower increases as I add each part (if anyone near me in AZ wants to come try it out and see what they are putting out for free, just let me know!).

Like some of the other guys here, I am tempted by the cheap EBay stuff but am scared. I am pretty handy (see http://www.mr2bug.com ) but am afraid of wasting money...it doesn't grow on trees as you all know!

I would love for someone to say "Here's the parts list of what you need, here's where to get it, and this is what it would cost - by the way, I am local so check mine out" but will settle for any advice you great people have to offer!! :-)

Thanks
Mario

Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned
Default RE: 93 MR2 Turbo guy switched to a 97 GSX!

hmmm... i would get a SBR Bastard 20g with all the extras (internal gate), Ported Exhaust manifold, Intake Manifold (optional), MBC/EBC, SAFC II, Wideband, Injectors, Fuel rail (optional), 255lph fuel pump, FPR, FMIC, Cams/Cam gears, Full exhaust, Intake, Greddy Type S BOV.......

All of thgis stuff you can get from the following reliable and respected places: www.slowboyracing.com , www.buschurracing.com , www.amsperformance.com and www.extremepsi.com . This will all cost you roughly $4000 but if you shop well you should save a little. STAY AWAY FROM EBAY.

I think thats everything... anyone have any better ideas?

Old 07-16-2006, 10:34 PM

Thanks Sebba! I have the AVCR and the SAFC already, so I have a head start!

I read up on the Bastard 20G and it sounds like a great combination of power, spool up, and sleeper factor! Now I just need to put together a game plan on what to do first and how to fund it.

Any recommendations on which cams I should go with and size of injectors?

To All: Anyone have some of these parts used that you want to part with?

Thanks again,

Mario

Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have one point to make. You said that you wanted to run 13's not low 12's . This setup that sebba is giving you is way more than you will need to accomplish this. I mean come on. With that car you can run 13's with the stock turbo and stock internals easily.

- Turboback exhaust
- MBC (16-17 psi)
- upper and lower intercooler piping
- Boost Guage
- injen Intake
- 1g crushed BOV (to hold the boost)
- supra side mount

I think thats everything and you should be running high 13's i think with this. I may be missing some minor stuff that i cant remeber. But this should run you about 1/4 of what the other setup would

Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 PM

I thought it seemed a little much based on what I did to the MR2 and the results I got.

To Sebba's credit, I did say "I still have my AVCR and AFC and assume I will need to do intake and exhaust, maybe fuel pump, injectors, FMIC, and maybe a turbo"

It would be great if I could get away with less and pull consistant 13's.

Also, what do I have to do to make sure the AT will hold up? Should I do the shift kit and end clutch upgrade? Can you do the end clutch upgrade with the tranny in the car?

Old 07-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Banned

Well he said he had an auto... so i figured... really slow start... right? So thats why i came up with that list...

LOL 16-17 psi if you wanna hit fuel cut.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Well he said he had an auto... so i figured... really slow start... right? So thats why i came up with that list...

LOL 16-17 psi if you wanna hit fuel cut.
your not gonna hit fuel cut at that with the stock fuel

Old 08-20-2006, 08:54 PM

Ok, I have a game plan but would like feedback on exhaust.

For now, I am installing my boost controller (AVCR), air/fuel controller (SAFC), short intake, and custom turbo back exhaust with a high-flow cat. I will do the fuel, turbo, and intercooler later.

A local company will build a custom mandrel bent 2.5" or 3" turbo back system including high flow cat for around $700. I was set on the 3" but they are telling me it is too big and I will loose power due to lack of back pressure and to do the 2.5".

I only want to do this once so I am once again looking for advice. Also, I don't like the fart-can sound (no offense to those who like it) but want the power so any recommendations on which muffler to use?

Thanks again!

Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

muffler has nothing really to do with power just sound. Just make sure it has a 3" inlet and chamber. I would definetly go with 3". With a non turbo car sure a 3" would be bad because of loss of backpressure but not on a turbo car. With the turbo you want a little bigger piping so that it will be less restrictive. Definetly go with the 3".

Old 08-21-2006, 03:35 PM

agreed 3" is your best bet. If they are going to charge you $700.00 for a turbo back exhaust then you might as well buy an aftermarket one. it would be cheaper. The highflow cat would be much cheaper as well

Quick Reply: 93 MR2 Turbo guy switched to a 97 GSX!