Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Anyone build their own turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Default Anyone build their own turbo kit?

I threw together a turbo kit for my hatch for 700 bucks and it started up and ran flawlessly.

Has anyone done something similar to this with a 3g eclipse?

I plan on starting this project in the near future and I'm trying to get some ideas and sites to help me out finding parts. I used the search button but i dont know if it's my block or a site error but i never come up with any results no matter how many different ways i type the key words.

Anyway the plan is to use the

*evo intercooler that was on the hatch ( put a sneaky maseratti one on it before i sold it)
*run password jdm FMU
*and try to find another garret t25 off a sr-20.

Anyone have any ideas for some places to pick up those randome parts like feed/return lines, gaskets, manifolds etc.

I do have a 92 talon manifold for an fp red turbo if that will fit on the 3g 4g64 eclipse.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Anyone build their own turbo kit?

yup any 4g63 manifold will work on a 3g. The only issue you may find is clearance issues with the starter. But there are ways around that. Your best bet for tuning the 3g ECU is gonna be a Greddy Emanage. But depending on what type of psi you want as well youll obviously need fuel, ect. But it is duable. I would look into a 14b or 16g over the T25 because that turbo is crap....it comes on 2g eclipses BTW

Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 AM

thanks for the info! I want to run the car on 5-7 lbs, pretty much any stock wastegate will do.

When you say clearance issues do you mean with the manifold itself or the turbo once it's bolted up to the manifold?

Is it necessary to use some kind of electronic management? The guys at a shop near my house were working on a turbo scion and couldn't get the FMU to do it's job because of an extra fuel return lineor something like that. Anyway they said some newer cars fuel system isn't compatable with an FMU. Do you know if the eclipse is like this? The e-manage is kind of pricey but with such low boost i could even use a safc to add a little more fuel.

I've always used an FMU and I am confident about what it can do and how not to blow my car up :P

Old 12-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Alot of the newer ECU's will not allow the FMU to work and the eclipse im pretty sure is gonna give you the same problem. You will also have a problem with an SAFC. Because of the setting in the 3g eclipse computer, the SAFC just wont correct fuel because the ECU will automatically adjust to the changes negating what your trying to do. Which is why most people with a 3g will go to Emanage because its one of the few piggybacks that will work correctly.

And by clearance issues i mean with the turbo itself hitting components. I think you would be fine with a basic 2g/1g manifold setup though.

Another thing you may want to think about and its a very simple swap, is to replace the head with an DOHC EVO head to really get the most out of your turbo setup cuz that SOHC is just far too restrictive.

And if you want some really good info on the 3g then check out this
http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/81227-diy-turbos.html

and look around on that site because they have lots of good info and knowledgable people when it comes to the 4g64

Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 AM

Nice, there is some really helpful information there.

Looks like the turbo process is going to slow down for a bit. I'm sure the emanage's are a little more pricey than an FMU. Plus I'm going to do some tuning research and stuff on it so I have an idea of what's going on when I get it.

BTW, I have tried to search numerous times but still 0 results everytime. I think there is something up with my blocker at work. (Sorry if I'm asking something that has been covered a million times)

Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 AM

Well I am about to start putting this kit together. It's going to be a slow process with my budget but It will get there in time. More time for research . Anyway looks like I will start with the emanage and go ahead and get that knocked out. I will upload some pics along the way and do my best to have a tutorial as well.

Another thing I want to double check on. There are no oil ports on the block and I have to use a sandwhich oil filter adapter right?

Thanks a lot everyone. Feel free to add input. Everything helps!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Cool. Good luck with it.

And sorry about the search function. It is not you browser. The software that is being used for this forum has started to get glitches, One of them being that the search function does not work properly, as well as the Poll option is not working.

As far as the oil feed, im not sure, but you will need to tap in to the pan for the oil return.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 AM

For the oil return on my honda i just went to an industrial supply shop and picked up some fittings for like 6 bucks with a rubber hose from the same place. It worked well and i never had a leak or problem with it.

I don't want to go cheap with the 3g though since it's my DD but is this still a decent route to take with the oil return?

I will go steel braided with the feed line.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Oh rubber is perfectly fine. We used that on my friends evo when he upgraded and it works fine since its just a return

Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 PM

You mean turbotrix used one on MY evo lol.

As for the home made peiced together kits yes you can do it. I test fitted a Evo VII turbo setup on my 4g64 in the past. It fits but needs to be spaced off the head 1.5 inches for the turbo to clear the starter. OR your best bet would be to just have a custom manifold welded up and youll be good to go. You can find an Evo 8 16G setup for pretty cheap now a days. I sold my turbo, 02 housing and wastegate for $300 and the manifold for $100. So $400 you have all you need as far as turbo parts aside from the IC and piping. Then obviously fuel and controllers. FYI you dont need a piggy back on this car. The 3G eclipses do have software to be reflashed just like the Evos and STis have. Just research it.

www.club3g.com