Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Change A GS Into a GST

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Default Change A GS Into a GST

I've got a '97 Eclipse GS and I'm gonna try to put a turbo on it. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas. Anything useful would be gratefull.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Banned
Default RE: Change A GS Into a GST

They have different engines all together. So technically you cant turn it into a GST with just a turbo. If you want to turn it into a GST you will need a 4G63. You have the 420a engine and i strongly advise against turboing that engine.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:35 AM

Well technically that is incorrect because they make turbo kits for the 420a engine if you go to hahnracecraft.com they make one for about 3000.00 bucks. i had a rs and i was also looking into that but i did alot of reasearch and finally found a guy who used that kit and when he was all done and finished he dumped about 8 grand into it to make it run right. and still got smoked by a stock gs-t. So i would recoment just buying a GS-T.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:30 AM
Banned

Nothing i said was incorrect...

Old 05-14-2006, 02:52 AM

Sebba is right but what he didnt say is you cant swap a 4G63 into a 420a equipped car so all non turbo 2Gs cant swap the turbo motor in.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:47 AM

ORIGINAL: GREDDY_GST

Well technically that is incorrect because they make turbo kits for the 420a engine if you go to hahnracecraft.com they make one for about 3000.00 bucks. i had a rs and i was also looking into that but i did alot of reasearch and finally found a guy who used that kit and when he was all done and finished he dumped about 8 grand into it to make it run right. and still got smoked by a stock gs-t. So i would recoment just buying a GS-T.

I would really like to slap that guy hp side the head because the hrc stage two kit is the most compleat kit avaible for any car. Their are some very "special" people out their that think they can do it all, but if it took him 8g to get his car running right he didnt set up his fuel system right. Also a stock gst runs a 15.2 and a hrc stage 2 420a runs a 14.9(better driver will always win though). Seeing how he couldent install a turbo kit correctly that comes with detailed instruction, along with picures, and 7 days a week phone tech service to work I find him a non creditable source.

Sebb... Why do you strongly advise agenst turboing the 420a(mike dont butt in), I personally can think of some logical/economical reasons, but to diss the 420a and not give it the dignity of a reason...

Also many other companys make turbo kits for the 420a, hahn is the major one, star, tsi performance, concept illusions(they make kits to order), and slow boy racing. Also their are a few walkthoughs over the internet on making your own turbo kit, one is for under 1000 dollars that requires welding skils and buying some used parts. Others are more then 2g-under 3g and are decently basic.

Honestly if your looking for a cheap way to go fast dont turbo the car(sebb you cant use that). In the long run the gst will be cheaper but the 420a is more respectable in my opnion because it takes alot of hard work to make really fast.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Banned

I advise against it because the stock internals dont stand upto much. Well lets look at what you have to do first... build up the block, pistons and rods, valves, cams, and springs, bottom end, intercooler + piping, BOV, injectors, fuel pump, oil lines, exhaust manifold, turbo, SAFC II, MBC... and what ever else. Not forgeting its from a neon lol. Not to mention its mounted completed opposite in the engine bay and its not the same trans. All that for a 13 sec car? HA ...

I think i read someplace the 420 has better compression than the 4G63 though... thats the only good thing i know about that engine.

Even after spending crazy money on that engine people still have problems. Yea n/a power is alot harder to produce. lol i was going to say something about the 4G63 not being a possible swap but i wasnt 100% sure.

Did i pass?

Old 05-14-2006, 11:40 AM

kinda, I'll let you go becuase your first statment was right... the rest is just you guessing. Alot of the stuff you listed isnt needed, safc, injectors, mbc. True to get a 420a into the 13's you need to build the block. The stock injectors hold up to 9psi, the piston rings blow out at 12, and the stock rods snap at 15. But at 9psi the car can be expected(along with other boltons) to run a mid 14. Which some people are fine with, but most 420a motors left in eclipses are high millage motors and wont last too long under 9lbs of boost.

For building the motor for boost is going to cost 1000 dollars in parts, howellautomotive sells a rebuild kit for the bottom end that includes everything you could ever possibly need. anyhting after that is machine shop labor and assyembly labor is all extra.

The 420a already comes with a nasty head. It flows very well, and by porting it to even make a difference in performance you need to port match the intake manifold and exaust manifold. Also the head is very strong, I dont know if you missed it but in the sights and sounds I posted a vid of a fellow 420a'er boosting 26lbs. On his setup he has the factory cams, valve spings, and valves in the car.

By the 420a saying that it has better compression they mean that it has higher compression. Which is releative in the boost world. Higher compression makes more hp with less boost so in the application that someone is not building the motor and keeping 9psi higher compression is better. But in the long run a lower compression motor is better for high boost numbers. The lower compression the more air and fuel the motor can take in.

You are right tho, after spending alot of money people do still have problems... but that reletave to any car that people work over. For example one of my good friends put a cam in his ls1, after starting the car 3 hydro. lifters went, he removed the heads and replaced them, then after that he was finally able to take it for a ride and his 3500 stall destroyed 2nd gear.

Building a 420a in no way is cost effective when compaired to a 4g63, unless you get the car for free. But their are many people doing it. For example the largest 420a community right now has a active member list of 8,2xx people, and still getting new users every day.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: slow420a

kinda, I'll let you go becuase your first statment was right... the rest is just you guessing. Alot of the stuff you listed isnt needed, safc, injectors, mbc. True to get a 420a into the 13's you need to build the block. The stock injectors hold up to 9psi, the piston rings blow out at 12, and the stock rods snap at 15. But at 9psi the car can be expected(along with other boltons) to run a mid 14. Which some people are fine with, but most 420a motors left in eclipses are high millage motors and wont last too long under 9lbs of boost.

The 420a already comes with a nasty head. It flows very well, and by porting it to even make a difference in performance you need to port match the intake manifold and exaust manifold. Also the head is very strong, I dont know if you missed it but in the sights and sounds I posted a vid of a fellow 420a'er boosting 26lbs. On his setup he has the factory cams, valve spings, and valves in the car.

By the 420a saying that it has better compression they mean that it has higher compression. Which is releative in the boost world. Higher compression makes more hp with less boost so in the application that someone is not building the motor and keeping 9psi higher compression is better. But in the long run a lower compression motor is better for high boost numbers. The lower compression the more air and fuel the motor can take in.

Building a 420a in no way is cost effective when compaired to a 4g63, unless you get the car for free. But their are many people doing it. For example the largest 420a community right now has a active member list of 8,2xx people, and still getting new users every day.
I think i saw the guy with the 26 psi "RS-T". It was fugly. Yea when i said better comp i meant higher. **** i forgot about lower comp is better for boosting. Im never forgetin that again. I wasnt actually guessing, i read in a few places people wer being told to change valves, cams and springs. Thanks for the facts. Its nice to know some exact numbers, thanks.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:45 PM

thank you for not being a dick

Quick Reply: Change A GS Into a GST