Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

EMS help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Default EMS help

Hey guys I have a question about EMS. I was told that EMS really helps out your car alot but heres my thing. I dont know anything about it. I've heard things about controlling stuff in your car like fuel control and everything. I'm very new to all these stuff. Just a basic guy who likes tuning cars. So jus wonderin what EMS is all about. And whats the price range on those and is it worth it.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned
Default RE: EMS help

There are many kinds.

There is your average "Piggy Back". Your car has a pre programmed fuel map right? A set amount of air and fuel that it feeds to the engine. What this device is it modifies the signal to your cars fuel system adding more air or more fuel. Now, why would anyone want to do this? Let me explain. The leaner your air/fuel ratio, the more power you make. However, the leaner you make it, the more heat that gets built up, and the more 'detonation' can happen (do a google search for this). So what you are trying to do is tune it where its not too lean, and not too rich. The richer (more fuel), the safer it is, the less heat, and it helps prevent detonation. The only problem with the Piggy Back is that with injectors over about 660cc, one little notch of adjustment can change your fuel ratio a crap load. So its only good for those smaller hp setups.

Why would you have to modify it in the first place? Well after you start adding mods like exhaust, intake etc... your air/fuel ratio changes slightly with each mod, and in order to get the total benifits of this, you need to 'fine tune' the air fuel ratio a little.

Now, an EMS is a little different. It takes over the cars ECU entirely making it redundant. With an EMS you can mess with other things like spark timing, and fine tune a lot more, and you are able to tune bigger injectors.However, its a LOT more complicated and a lot more expensive.

For the first and second generation eclipses, there is a device called DSMLink that allows you to have most of the features of a stand alone EMS, while having the simplicity of a Piggy Back.

Now, how the hell do you know what adjustments to make? You get whats called a wideband o2 gauge. This tells you your live air/fuel ratio, and you make adjustments accordingly. For turbo cars you need to aim for a richer ratio like 11:1, and on naturally aspirated cars you can go a lot leaner.

Hope that helps!

An example of a Piggy Back are like the Apexi SAFC II, and an example of an EMS is like the AEM EMS, and Greddy E-Manage.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 PM

Thats good to know. im jus scared once i get it, ill **** up my car. is it complicated to control all those stuff in a EMS. I have an evo 8 by the way.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

You wont.

The only thing i will tell you, is that if you dont know what you are doing, get educated about it, and it looks as if you are doing just that.

Well, to determine what you really should be doing, what are your power goals and your budget?

EMonz57 also has an EVO 8. He knows the car like the back of his hand.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Yeah thanks for asking. Well I didnt bought the car stock. It came with K&N intake, greddy exhaust, Stage 2 Intercooler, and Stage 2 Clutch. I assume it was done by the first owner. But about my plan that i had on the evo was i was going to get injen intakes and a catback exhaust full downpipe. I dont know if i should switched out the KN intake and put a injen intake in there. if theres not really a horsepower gain difference then i wouldnt bother with that. and about the catback exhaust, ive heard a yellow evo on youtube that sounded very sick and that was the one that i would like to put on mine. that guys name was called joosdawg or somethin but yeah i like how the exhaust on his car sound. if u know what brand of exhaust that was then that'll be great. but yeah other than that, i dont know what upgrades or what parts would be best for my evo. im not familiar with fuel ratio and all that advance upgrades but would like to get help on increasin the power on my evo. i just know about basic moddin. i use to have a civic si and done only basic moddin to that one and damn it wasnt very fast. so on the evo, if i could, i would like to get close to 500 hp but dont know how to get there. i was plannin to upgrade to a bigger turbo also but dont know if thats necessary. rite now i have approx about $3000 that i would like to spend on upgrades on my car. what should i buy first.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

Well, 500 is very doable. It will take about 8 grand if you do the work yourself.

In terms of the intake, the K&N would be exactly the same as the Injen. Is the K&N just the filter or the entire intake?

As for the exhaust, i really wouldnt waste the money getting another exhaust just for the sound. Get a downpipe to go with the catback and stick with that : )

EMonz57 has an EVO that has a setup capable of almost 500, send a message over to him, he will be able to help you out more than i could.

Also, if you are serious about this, plan on getting to know this car very well. And you WILL learn how to tune a/f ratio.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Just so you know you WILL need a turbo upgrade to get to that HP and you DO NOT need the EMS to do it. Actually unless you know a shop around you that can dyno tune with the EMS i would not advise getting it. It is not for beginer tuners. I would stick with getting the SAFC to start to learn about tuning and if you go with a higher HP setup you can get the stock ECU dynoflashed and it will work fairly well. You wont get all the HP you want out of it, but if willget enough where i think youll be satisfied, and you can still pass emmisions (or at least be able to fake the system).

I would make a post in the EVO section and ask this question to get better answers. The one thing you really need to ask yourself is do you want this to be a DD car. Because with 500hp you are really pushing the boundary of being able to street drive it. Emonz has about 400-450 and his car sucks to drive around. The best way to go about modding it do it in stages. Start with smaller goals and get used to that HP then slowely work your way up. Cuz just going straight to a high HP you can hurt yourself and the car

Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 PM

hmm yeah ok guys. thanks alot for all the comments. yeah i was planning to start out slowly by slowly. get all the basic parts first and then jump to a turbo upgrade later on. But now that my evo already has K&N intake, greddy exhaust, and stage 2 clutch, what should i do next. oh and yeah i still want it to be street legal so if gettin close to 500 hp on a street legal evo is not possible, then gettin around the 400 should be fine. And rite now i have $3000 to start out with that i want to spend on the car.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned

Send a PM to EMonz57.