Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

GS-T Turbo in a GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Default GS-T Turbo in a GS

Hello all I am new here and I would like to ask a possibly already answered question but Unfourtunatly my computer does not let me use the search function on the forum. Perhaps an upgrade is inorder. ANYWHO I have a friend who has a 91 Eclipse Gs Manual and her boyfriend has a 91 Eclipse GS-T.

The Story: I talked with her and she said her boyfriend was going to take the stock system off of his 91 and put it on hers. Now from research and personal experience with turbos I asked him some questions. (She said he was very mechanically inclined) He told me that he is going to change out the cams, ecu, Injectorsand put on the turbo. Now here is my questions

1. Does the GS-T have a stronger clutch compared to the GS?
1a. If not would it have to be upgraded? I always have found that on honda's that this is true
2. I've heard that the GS "Oil Squirters" wont be able to stand the heat and stress from the forced induction is this true?
2a. Would the GS-T Squirters have to be put in?
3. Is there a difference in air flow between the GS and GS-T in the cylinder head?
3a.Would there have to be some port matching and boreing going on?
4. Are the intake manifolds the same? I assume yes
5. Would the car run on the 9:1 piston found in the GS? Frompersonal experience that is a rather high compression number when talking about turbos on an old car
6. Are the rods any beefier on the GS-T?
7. Is a fuel rail Upgrade necessary?
8. He says he is going to keep stock exhaust because it can definatly handle the 14psi he is planning on running on her car. Bs right?
9. Do you keep the mass air flow sensor when boosting or will theGS-T ecu not even recognize it?

I asked to help just so I could see him fall on his ***. He is pretty stupid and currently the car is in terrible condition and he is talking about boosting it! He tried to fix the intake and ended putting a giant piece of duct tape over this gash in the intake and neglected to put the filter back on. So my friend has been driving her car for about 2 weeks without a filter and a barely together intake! He aslo says he is not going to use a new timing belt when replacing the cams. He figures he can do this in one day. mmmm I don't think so. I barely managed to put a turbo on my Prelude in one day.

Any comments, suggestions, and answers would be much appreciated to this newb with a prob!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned
Default RE: GS-T Turbo in a GS

If you would like, i can answer your question individually. Right now im a little antoxicated and to be honest i really cant be bothered.

I see what your asking, and it makes sense and it has/can be done.

Your friend that says it will handle 14psi is wrong..... half it. I personally go by a rule, nothing above 8psi on n/a engines.

I really wouldnt recomend doing this for reliability reasons. I mean, DSMs are unreliable as it is.

My question to you is, why not get a used engine 4G63T6 bolt(ebay has plenty) and change out the ECU for a GST ECU and all the sensors needed, and use the exhaust for the GST. It might actually save you time and money in the long run. Turboing a n/a car is very very hit and miss. On an engine with how ever many miles....... it doesnt look good.

Still want me to answer all those questions? Ok, i feel nice and im super bored. Its your lucky day.

1) Im not 100% sure but i believe that they are the same and if not, YES it would have to be changed.
2) The oil squirters will be fine.
3) There IS a difference in the flow in the head in terms of the cams and cam gears. Other than that, no.
4) The intake manifold i am not entirely sure. Dont hold me to it, but im saying yes its the same.
5) It would run yes, for how long who knows. Anything above 8psi i would be nervous... as a matter of fact i would be nervous turboing it anyway
6) The rods are beefier
7) I believe the fuel rail is the same.
8) Yes, BS right there
9) The MAS is the same

Just a wild guess, but are you a chick?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:32 PM

Sorry buddy no. I am no chick. But this is about my friends car. I myself dont actually own a eclipse. I love the Honda Prelude better. But thank you for the answers. Its my freind's boyfriend that wants to do this and I call him a general retard.

So basically if you are inded right about this He is gonna for sure blow her car up

Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Banned

More than likely : )

Old 06-22-2007, 11:43 PM

That just proves that her boyfriend is an idiot. Like I said he has been running her n/a car without a filter for about 2 weeks

Old 06-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Banned

You can run a n/a car without a filter.... super efficient.. but not safe

Old 06-23-2007, 12:29 AM

yeah but its kills the engine when it intakes larger particles. On my prelude I had itb's and after about 2k miles I had to a rebuild just so I could clean verything out

Old 06-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Banned

I agree

Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 AM

I may be wrong, but I thought the N/a Head actually allowed more than the turboed head..

Old 06-29-2007, 07:58 AM

not as far as i know... just get a K&N filter and it's basically like having nothing there... or put a screen over the end of it HAHA (no lie, i acutally saw an S2K get about 6whp out of it.)