Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Help finding a SuperCharger!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Default Help finding a SuperCharger!

Hey guys im new and I dont know much about this subject so maybe ya'll can help me. I am looking for a supercharger for a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. I have looked everywhere and I cant find one does anyone know where to find one this is a common car for racing and no one I have talked knows where i can find one any help would be great ... Thanks

Old 07-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Default RE: Help finding a SuperCharger!

Their is a reason no one makes one...

Superchargers need power to make power, to more n/a hp you have the higher hp you can make with a s/c. A 4g64 dosent make all that much hp so the s/c wouldent do that much anyway. Also superchargers work off the drive belts. This causes more rotational mass which causes less tq numbers and crappy throttle response. Lastly superchargers are a pain in the bum to change to boost pressure on. The boost is decided by the sizes of the upper and lower pullys. So to make a cartian amount of boost you have to get a pully setup that will give it to you. So in cases where you upgrade your internals or fuel system you have to buy a new pully to get your desired boost setting, and you can only go so large or small pully wise so eventually you cant make any more boost.

Turbos on the other hand run off exaust gas and creat no drag on the motor. And the back pressure that they creat can easily be countered with a free flowing exaust. Any car can make good numbers with a turbo becuase they dont need power to make power. As long as they spit exaust out one side and take in air on the other they are fine. To adjust the boost level on a turbo all you need is a 50 dollar check valve with a **** to turn. Lastly a turbo setup is much cheaper becuase their is less engineering and part machining behind its construction.

MYTHS
-turbos make turbo lag making cars run slower then they would with a supercharger

If you can stall on the line properly spool time shouldent be a problem at all, also a root style charger is the only type that give you instant boost and even that type of setup suffers from belt slip which is very similar to turbo lag.

-Superchargers are used on drag cars so they must be better

Recently many serious drag racers have noted the added benifits in weight reduction and power gains by using turbos over superchargers and have decided to switch over their setups. For an example the 99-04 ford svt line up has had a huge aftermarket boom in turbo setups, many people are ditching the factory root charger and getting either a twin or singel turbo setup.

-turbos are ment for 4 bangers, real cars use chargers

Some of the fastest turboed cars are ls1's and stright 6cyl supras... but supras dont count becaus they can win races standing still.