Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

how well does a 99 gs engine hold up to a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Default how well does a 99 gs engine hold up to a turbo

Does anyone know how well a 99 gs engine holds up to a turbo, and about how much boost I should be pushing through it?

Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Default RE: how well does a 99 gs engine hold up to a turbo

Depends on what else you got done to it. If nothing internal I wouldn't recomend anything over 7 or 8. If you search this, there is plenty of topics on this. Several members have turbo'd their GS.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Default RE: how well does a 99 gs engine hold up to a turbo

Here is info that Slow420a posted on it earlier

The stock bottom end can take up to 10 psi, the rings blow out first at 12psi, the pistons crack as well, the stock I beam rods bend at 15psi.

Hahn and star are the only compleat kits on the market. Conceptillusions... well bad quality kit, low price, long time to get. I wated 5 months for my stage one to show up broken.

Slow boys kit are just hot parts, an intercooler, and some random piping that you have to make work. Theirs no fuel system, theirs no electronics.

For turbokits.com tsi turbo kit, its a joke, only 2 injectors? Even if they are secondarys that means you need to take the intake manifold off the car and tap it, put in some injector bosses and get the car dyno tuned.

treadstone, same deal as slowboy, no fuel system, no electronics.

"how much is a fuel system?" If you want one done right, could be up to 1000 dollars (sfmu, fp gauge, ss lines, fuel rail, fuel pump, fuel filter, fittings) A half *** one 300 (fmu, rubber hose, fuel pump, hose clamps).

Do not buy wisco pistons, bad quality, go ross or j.e.

Do not buy a srt-4 turbo, those things suck beyond anything, plus they wont sit right under the hood. The srt-4 motor exaust manifold faces the fire wall and the intake manifold faces the front of the car. This way the down pipe comes out at a 45 degree angel. Basically anything to work on your car is going to have to be custom made. Also the way the turbo/manifolds are desgined suck, their one piece. Also the wastegate is adjustable, the srt-4 runs at different boost leves in different gears. The stock waste gate is too high and would cause you to blow your motor.

If your looking for a budget turbo kit http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=921 save up some cash and get this one, its a quality kit thats been installed by many and the only thing you will need to buy is a boost gauge and a pillar for it.

SOLD! Some day I will get back in the game, for now I am just going to shoot people.