Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Installing turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Default Installing turbo

How hard is it to install one. I hear it takes long time but is not hard. My brother is a mechanic but has never done a turbo before but is sure he can do it.And if i need a mechanic how much would he charge if i provide the turbo.And one more question what does a turbo timer do and is it required. oh and i hear people saying that you can tune the turbo to not give out as much hp how is it this done. And do i need a intercooler if i get a bigger turbo,or can i hold off for a bit. This for a 95 eclipse gsx.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:18 AM
Default RE: Installing turbo

one more thing that's off the subject, can you put a remote start on a stick shift. just wondering

Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 AM

First off all what kind of car do you have? is it stock with a turbo? If not your prob not going to like my responce but its truthful.

you need ALOT!!!! more than just a turbo inorder to turbo a car. your looking at a minimum of like $3000 in parts and that is under guessing. most places charge like $800-$1500 to install a turbo on a 2000-2005 eclipse GS or RS. I can tell you the work itself is not all that hard persay BUT it requires alot of other stuff and alot of tuning ect ect ect.

I highly recommend not having anyone install it unless it is a custom shop like turbotrix, buschur, or places like that because you can take your car to anyone to turn a wrench but getting the car tuned will not happen and if that is hte case then kiss your motor goodbye within a day

Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Please do a search. If this is truely a GSX then you already have a turbo stock as well as a side mount IC. I suggest you do some research and learn about your car before you start talking about any of this stuff because i can give you answers but my feeling is you are not gonna understand the answers unless you research some of the things your asking about first. We do have a search function on here. Do some of it in the 2g eclipse section

All a TT does is allow the car to run for about a minute to allow the turbo to cool down. Not necessary since you can do that by letting the car run at idle for about a minute before shutting it off.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:05 PM

Just so you guys know, I think the reason he is asking about this is because he is looking at buying a gsx that he was told has a blown turbo. Thats why hes asking about cost to put a new one on. https://mitsubishiforum.com/fb.asp?m=201231

Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Its not that bad to put on yourself... And yes you can put in a remote start in a manual transmission car.. However its not recommended b/c the car will try to start even if you have it in gear. As for myself, I leave my car in gear all the time, since it works like a brake..

Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

Its not that bad to put on yourself... And yes you can put in a remote start in a manual transmission car.. However its not recommended b/c the car will try to start even if you have it in gear. As for myself, I leave my car in gear all the time, since it works like a brake..
thats not a good thing to do. trany stress if you park like that on hills often youll kill your tranny. I always put my ebrake up while in N then let it lock the car inplace and put it in gear after. So that way if one lets go I have the other there and im not stressing the tranny. Same even with auto cars. I always put the ebrake up first let the car settle then put it in park

Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 PM

you sit in your car and wait for the tt to count down and then do that? i always use my ebrake put it in neutral and go