Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

looking for a stock turbo for 98 eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Default looking for a stock turbo for 98 eclipse

I think I need a new or used turbo 98 eclipse GST 2000. It smokes when you put your foot in it. I am assuming it is the turbo but have not done a compression check. There is noexcessive smoke with easy driving. 1 What turbo model is stock for that car? 2 Anybody have a good used or new one for sale?3 any useful tips or info greatly appreciated
thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned
Default RE: looking for a stock turbo for 98 eclispe

Probably head gasket.

To check the turbo, pull off the intake and wiggle the shaft, It should hardly move.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Also your car comes stock with a T25 turbo. However if you are going to replace it then i suggest going with a 14b which comes stock on a 1990-1994 eclipse and is complete bolt on. All you need to install it is a j-pipe which you can get on www.dsmparts.com

Also when look for stuff like this a couple good sites are
www.dsmtrader.com
www.mistubishigraveyard.com

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 PM

Sebba and Engineer Thanks for the info I will check the shaft before buying a new one. Also thanks for the upgrade and site info. Couldn't the seals be bad but the shaft bearings still good? Either way I guess it would be replacement time.
Thanks a million.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

That usually goes hand in hand.

To check the seals, simply pull off the intercooler pipe and check for crap in it.

Also, the stock turbo is junk. I would recomend getting an EVO III 16g

Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

sebba the reason i didnt suggest a 16g is because if someone is asking to replace a turbo with a stock one then they are obviously not in a position to be upgrading as far as a 16g. I wouldnt reccomend a 16g to anyone unless they are looking for performance more than a DD

Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 AM

I found the 16g at DSMparts but I have not found the 14b yet. The car is my daughter's and she commutes 100 miles each day to school. Although the 16g would get her there faster, my goal is to just put a dependable turbo with as little changes as possible. On the 14b when you say it would need a j pipe do you mean a complete install kit? Since I will the one to install(and paying for) this, the less parts changes and money the better.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Banned

Replacing it with the stock turbo will just have the same outcome. A 16g will last a lot more.

Yes, the j pipe is what's needed. Maybe an oil line...

Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 AM

I have read every post I thought related to this plus all the turbo info on the garrett site (thanks engineer for the link). I decided I did not want to buy used so the only turbo I know will fit is the evo 3 16. I went to the garrett site but could not figure out what was a stock replacement. Will I have to upgrade anything else to make the evo 3 work. I am assuming the gas milage will drop with the evo 3 but more concerned with the hook up and knock with stock fuel and tuning. I am working a lot and want to make this as simple of a job as possible. I do not know anyone to ask the questions to other than Sebba and you. Sebba I live in maine but go to San Antonio several times a year. I will look for your car blowing by me.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 PM

here is the easiest complete stock turbo to swap. it is better then stock but is just a "pull it out pop it in", it is the exact same housings as the stock turbo... with better stronger internals. it would be your best option to do use this one... http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Code=DSM-Turbo

you cannot find a better turbo for what you are looking for then this turbo. good luck with swapping it. should take you a couple hours..

Quick Reply: looking for a stock turbo for 98 eclipse