Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

new turbo same problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Default new turbo same problem

I have a 99gst that started to smoke blue a few weeks ago. I took it to the dealler and they said the turbo went. So i called around and got a 14b turbo installed. since then the smoke has died down some but still hasn't stopped. I plan on taking it back to the shop , but I wanted to know what i should have him check. do you think he needs to just retighten all the blots or should he do something else. Also about how long should it take for the blue smoke to stop if he fixes the problem? he told me afew days.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Default RE: new turbo same problem

depends on the type of smoke. If its just grease/lube used to get bolts off that should go away within an hour of driving, turbos dont smoke for days and i have a feeling the turbo was not the problem.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:29 AM

ok so I put a new 14b turbo on and mu car still smokes. I had a compression test done at the dealers and it came back fine. when I put a bottle of stop smoke in my oil the smoking stopped. does this mean that a seal in my engine went bad that the compression test didnt detect? if so what could it be and how much to fix it?

Old 05-20-2005, 02:36 PM

here the answer to the problem... Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. Blue smoke is more likely in older or higher mileage vehicles than newer cars with fewer miles.

How did the engine oil get inside the cylinder in the first place? The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil. Using thicker weight engine oil or an oil additive designed to reduce oil leaks might help reduce the amount of oil leaking into the cylinder. heres hoping that this is the problem and not to new turbo that you got good luck to you man.

brandon

Old 05-20-2005, 05:41 PM

well that engine stop smoke worked for a little but the smoke is back. My oil level hasn't dropped so I dont know what is going on here. I checked the plugs and they all seem to have a black residue around the top of the plug. see image and notte that the plugs are only 3 months old. It car runs fine i mean a few time in the morning when I hit the gas kind of hard the car seems to slow down a little like hesitation i guess. I really want to get this problem fix but not have to pay abunch to get it diagnosed. whould a leak down test show leaks that a compression test dosen't.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:56 AM

are your plugs gaped at .35?

check out this website bro...... http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/2002sparkplug/
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tec...parkplug/3.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tec...parkplug/4.jpg

hope this helps google is the answer to everything, LMAO

Old 05-24-2005, 01:26 PM

I went for a 30 mile trip down the highway and now my oil pressure guage is reading higher then normal. i know that the press goes up but even when it idels right after I turn it on the guage reads right around the mark almost half way up. then at cruise the press rises up more then half way. What couldt his be caused by and what should I have done to fix it.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:50 PM

hmm ive done some research and all i can really tell you is to do and oil change and see if that doesnt help the reading. the oil filter itself could be a problem, but im not to sure on how to diagnose this problem. i mean it could be something internal thats causing you these problems. how many RPMs were you at when this happened? it could also have a bad sensor?

brandon [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 05-25-2005, 06:29 PM
pc

Did the dealer tell you the blue smoke was coming from the turbo lubrication? All the plugs should have looked the same if the oil was leaking into the intake and if it was there should have been oil on the intake passages. Or the oil could have been leaking on the exhaust side in which case there would be no oil in the cylinders only in the exhaust and burned there. I would think that oil in the exhaust will take a little longer to be flushed out. What did the dealer say? If it was the turbo leaking then I assume the turbo could not be repaired with new bearing and seals and thus needed to be replaced. Was the replacement turbo new or used?

Engine burning oil from a blown gasket will usually only show up in one cylinder and the plug for that cylinder will be different from the other plugs and easily seen. A compression test will indicate which cylinder has the blown gasket, a leakdown test will show the same. With a leakdown test you may be able to hear air leaking into the oil passage to the pan or up into the valve cover.

Oil pressure at cold startup will be higher than at full operating temperature and as you know will be higher at higher rpm's. I have found that new oil gives higher pressure readings than older oil. If the old oil is very dirty and has increased viscosity it will also show higher pressure. You must be aware that with turbos the oil has to be kept very clean to protect the turbo bearing. I would have thought with a new turbo an oil change with filter would have been done. It's cheap insurance.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:42 PM

The dealer told me that the compression test was good and that the turbo went bad it had alot of play. so I we to a shop that only deals with turbos and got a used 14b turbo w/ only 20k on it. the guy i bought it from said that he redid the seals and put new bearings in it. I also had the oil changed and even added lucas to it and put in new oil lines. the guy at the shop showed me my old turbo and it was very clean with very lil oil on it. he said that the turbo went bad bc my engine was burnng hot and to have my injectors cleaned.

when I finally got it back he told me that after a few days of driving all the oil in the exhaust pipe would burn off. It didn't so I added stop smoke to the oil and it worked for about a month.

Question should I get a leak down test and if I do do I need to change the oil that has the stop smoke in b4 I do the test? also I noticed today that when I hit the gas i hear a lil whistle type noise. its not loud but u can faintly hear it. How much would it be to replace the injectors w/ oem ones open up the turbo a check the seals and stuff. All i want is my car to not smoke and its driving e crazy.

Quick Reply: new turbo same problem