Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

possibly a gigantic leak, what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Default possibly a gigantic leak, what you think?

I have a 1997 eclipse gst. And for sum reason my car will shut off when im driving but start right up afterwards. I know the alternator is bad, but I doubt its that, cuz the car starts right up afterwards. So im wondering if it sounds like a gigantic boost leak to you guys. I will prolly take it to my buddies shop later on this week if I get a chance. Im just wondering what to expect. Any input is greatly apprecheated.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: possibly a gigantic leak, what you think?

does it shut off when comming toa stop or even when driving. Cuz i dont think a leak will cause a car to shut off when moving. How many volts are you getting at the battery during idle?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:36 PM

the car shuts off while driving. when i hit the brakes, it'll sometimes shut off but not always, it's really weird. But if i'm just sitting there it won't shut off, and when i hit the brakes while sitting there the idle doesn't go down at all. And I just replaced the battery again, but tomorrow i'll check to see how many volts it has, if i manage to dig it outta the snow

Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 AM

ok i got one question, are you venting your BOV!!!!???

Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

well the question i ask about the voltage is it could still be that the alternator is on the way out but just hasnt totally crapped out yet

Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 AM

nah man that alternators deff. sh** the bed a long time ago cuz the neg battery came off and the car instantly died out. Also yes i am venting my bov. it's the greddy type rs. Do you guys really think because it's vented it's killing me?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM

it sounds like an electrical problem but if it starts right up after i dont know. your idle isnt set to low is it? does it just die when your rolling and put the clutch in or. are you stomping on it and putting the clutch in and it dies? ive had similar problems with my gst

Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM

that's the weird thing, the idle isn't set low at all, and it'll die when i'm driving, while the clutch is engaged and my foots on the gas. I have no clue, but I just ordered the recirculation valve for my bov that should deff help a little bit. Then once the alternators fixed i'll do a boost leak test. And then i just gotta wait for it to stop fu***** snowing so i can drive the car to the shop,lol

Old 12-20-2007, 02:43 PM

sounds to me like an alternator especially if its diying with your foot on the gass. my lights would flicker and gauges would go crazy when mine was going out. it would die like yours even when driving. it fixed my problem i also needed a new harness going to the alternator was frayed. i hope this helps.i would try and get a new alternator

Old 12-20-2007, 03:32 PM

the only thing i can't explain if it's only the alternator is, how the car would start up no problem afterwards again, cuz usually when the alternator goes its cuz of the car running strictly off the battery and draining it

Quick Reply: possibly a gigantic leak, what you think?