Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Same Power at Much Higher Boost? WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Default Same Power at Much Higher Boost? WTF!!

Same Power at Much Higher Boost? WTF!!

Hi There guys my question is, why does my car make the same Power and torque Output at 1.7 bar that it does at 1.2 Bar?

Where do you start looking? the managment is working 100% the air feul ration is perfect. the only thing i could possibly think of is the clucth, it is slipping a bit.

So i think the clutch can only transfer that amount power regadless of Boost, before its starts slipping. The car gain 3kw over .5 bar boost and i should of gained 30-50kw's

Where should i start looking?

Old 03-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Default RE: Same Power at Much Higher Boost? WTF!!

What do you have for a turbo? bov? hard piping? Tell us what you have for your setup and car. That will help.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 AM

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2581255

check my car out!

All my piping is hard, i have a Mitsubishi TDO4H 15t ,these thurbos have been proven gewd for upto 2.4 bar, mine is smoking abit tho....

Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Does it actually hold 1.7 bars or does it peak and drop off? What kinda clutch do you have?

Old 03-02-2007, 10:45 AM

depending on the turbo this is actually quite common in some cars. take the SRT-4 for example. 14psi is the most that their stock ECU and MAS can read before they start to pull timing... some ppl automatically think that more boost is more power, not always true. at 14psi you will actually be more power than you will at 20psi b/c 1 the MAS is pulling so much timing and dumping so much fuel it's hurting ur performance and also, the 20psi air is sooooo much hotter than the 14psi b/c it's moving to fast for the intercooler to cool it...

Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Im not familiar with that car setup But what do you have for a fuel management system? You said that it was tuned by someone? If thats the case, it was prolly tuned at the lower psi, and when you turn that up its not tuned right for the higher boost... I could be wrong though, depending on what you have for tuning/gauges to tell what your running...

Old 03-03-2007, 05:24 AM

Yes it does hold the 1.7 bar, Im gonna get the Standard slipping clucth replaced with a High spec one then gonna remap at high boost

Old 03-03-2007, 08:14 AM

i like the headline... africas fastest =D *sorry off topic*

Old 03-03-2007, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Schwitzer Turbo

Yes it does hold the 1.7 bar, Im gonna get the Standard slipping clucth replaced with a High spec one then gonna remap at high boost
My suggestion, buy an Act 2600 clutch with the street disk.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 AM

Same Power at Different Boost Levels with Different Turbo's
Hi There guys my question is, why does my car make the same Power and torque with Different Boost Levels with Different Turbo's. Where do you start looking? the managment is working 100% the air feul ration is perfect.
Background: 1 year ago i put the Car on Dyno Std Computer. Made 142kw and 275nm boosting 1.2. i was happy as previouslt the car @.7 made 100kw 200nm. But the Tuner told me my smt6 is wired up wrong its does have power and there are x2 negatives on the extra Injectors. i must get it hooked up properly and try again.

So he hooks it up. and set's the car up a little rich for my liking... to i put it on dyno. i start @ 1.7 bar car makes same Power so i turb it down to 1.3 bar co surely it will make more power than it did at 1.2 bar. NOPE. it made teh same power at 1.7 & 1.3 than it did at 1.2 bar. So turbo must be to small...
all the Above was done on a T2.5

Then i go buy a T2.8 and take it to Cape Towns Most trusted Tuner .@ 1 bar it makes 130kw and 275nm so i told him go 1.2 bar on pump feul. car makes 144kw 286nm.

So what can we determine from this? Same KW & Nm with different boost and turbo.
The Regional Megasquirt pro told me my airflow metter is running at Max Voltage Hence unable to make more power. Most people are quick to assume the turbo is to small, this car came out with a T1.5 and guys with the same Turbo's(Mitsi T2.8) are running 200kw+ or people think the feuling is Wrong.
Now, Will fitting a Full managemnet system solve my problem's? what will happen to my Curves?
When running a MAF/Piggy back does this kinda stuff happen?

Quick Reply: Same Power at Much Higher Boost? WTF!!