Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Turbo Possibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Default Turbo Possibility

Ok so im going to have a chance to get a turbo this summer from my best friends older bro, he has a 97 turbo from a gsx that he had on a civic hatch, but he hasnt actually had it on the car in like 2 yrs now and then he just now got a new turbo for it.So he said he will sell it to me for $90, now i know sure as hell that i would do it but first i want to know what all supporting mods i would need to throw into my car. Oh and i already plan on getting rid of the 420a in the car now and putting a new 420a in, just to start fresh,cause im not sure what kind of mileage is on the motor in there now.I bought it from a dealer and they said the guy that traded it in, some college kid, had changed the motor but didnt have the papers for it, so im not gonna go and throw all kinds of money into whats in there now, its probably gonna go dead on me not too long from now as it is. So butim still not sure as well though on whats the big deal on why i cant put the 4g63 in my car, from what ive heard and know so far its mainly because of the motor mounts, is that the only problem why it wont go in or is there others as well? because if thats the only real problem then im just gonna take my chances at getting a 4g63 and cutting out the old motor mounts and putting in new ones where they need to be. Otherwise though if the 4g63 wont work because of other reasons other than the motor mounts then dont worry about that, im just gonna go with the 420a then, so but yeah, what all am i gonna need to get then to support a turbo?
thanks in advance for all input, its much appreciated

Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Turbo Possibility

this has been discussed alot in the eclipse section. But if it were me i wouldnt waste my time with that t25 turbo. Its a POS pointless to use. Also you are gonna need to get a correct manifold to mount it anyway so i wouldnt even bother. Id just go with an actual kit. something from cimotorsports, hahn racecraft, However they are more expensive. Also there is the treadstone kit that is alittle cheaper.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Yea, well i mean i know really its a matter of personal opinion when it comes to the turbo that you would wanna use but for me, a turbo is a turbo, and ill be happy just to get it and get it on and it works w/o blowin my engine the f*** up, hahaha. So but as well its kinda perfect cause he's gonna help install it, so he's gonna be able to tell what i need to get and stuff and ill be able to pick up on how to install a turbo haha. Also im not really wantin to spend any more money than that on a turbo cause im gonna be spendin so much on other stuff as it is, so but i still need to know like what are some other things that i would need besides now a manifold to support a turbo on a 420a?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 PM

ohh and dont worry guys im not that dumb and i do atleast know that im gonna need an intercooler, haha

Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

ok cuz that was gonna be on my list, haha

Here is a starter list

- Injectors
- Fuel Pump
- SAFC
- Headgasket
- ARP head studs
- Boost Controller
- Boost & A/F Gauge

With all this you could probably run about 8psi i think

Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 PM

alrighttt, well atleast its not too big a list, haha,but alright, well a 420a @8 psi or about thereis muchbetter than a420a n/a [&:]
so but what if i want to go more, what would be talking then? pistons and cams and all that goodstuff, or should we be talking just get a new car and mess with the motor on that
and im not sure exactly what my goal hp is, but since a stock 420a puts out about 100 im gonna say i wanna try and get atleast 200, maybe more, if possible on a 420a motor?!?!
oh and im not what you would call upto snuff on parts lingo, haha,i knowsome things, but whats a SAFC?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM

oil pressur gague
home made down pipe or buy 1
injector relay box depends how big inj (my buddy used tsi stock 1)
cheackall your vac. lines make sure theirnot loose
air filter
get good couplingdont use rubber 90 deg. bends they like to blow out
dont mod the wast gateunless u want blow ur eng. iknow lots of guys thatdid that to get more pressure.
u can get a kit on ebay for like 500 for just the basicbut theirs a kit for 900 that has every thing turbo timer manfiold oil line and bung to tap in the oil pan intercooler piping turbo bov wast gate (external) you can turn it down for a stock eng then you have a good base to upgrade internals later down the road.
then 1 or 2 stages cooler spark plugs a must to help with predetnition
their are lots of optoins u can chose form just up to u on wat u want do and looking for inpreformance

[/align]

Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

420 a puts out 146 i belive and dont run any more then 8 psi on stock internals. the stuf you need for a relible good preformance is
set of good pistons i going with the je forged pistons with 8;1 comp. eagle rods h beams
turbo cams
computer for opt. tuning
wide band a/f
boost gage
oil psi
colant tem
650 inj with inj box
turbo with external wast gate
bov that chan handle your build
intake manifold
complet 3" exaust
"good tires"
forged crank
lighter flywheel
obx oil pan (has the bung for oil line for turbo)
fmic
piping
air filter kit
upgrade cluch
oil lines braded tap into the oil vally for turbo oiling
head work valves porting and polishing reserface (not shave)
keep your comp. has low as posible
main and rod bearings
biger thortle body
3 bar map sens.
underdrive pullys
afer all this a good set of cv shafts
trany gone threw strengting up
and shoot for the moon and have fun

[/align]

Old 01-16-2008, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: 95talonesi

420 a puts out 146 i belive and dont run any more then 8 psi on stock internals. the stuf you need for a relible good preformance is
set of good pistons i going with the je forged pistons with 8;1 comp. eagle rods h beams
turbo cams
computer for opt. tuning
wide band a/f
boost gage
oil psi
colant tem
650 inj with inj box
turbo with external wast gate
bov that chan handle your build
intake manifold
complet 3" exaust
"good tires"
forged crank
lighter flywheel
obx oil pan (has the bung for oil line for turbo)
fmic
piping
air filter kit
upgrade cluch
oil lines braded tap into the oil vally for turbo oiling
head work valves porting and polishing reserface (not shave)
keep your comp. has low as posible
main and rod bearings
biger thortle body
3 bar map sens.
underdrive pullys
afer all this a good set of cv shafts
trany gone threw strengting up
and shoot for the moon and have fun

[/align]
This is a pretty good list you are going to need almost all of that.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 PM

wonderfullll, hahaha, this is gonna take a lil more time than i thought ohh well, haha, but ya alright, i prob am gonna end up goin off of that list for the most partthen for what i should look into getting, but ya ive actually already been planning on gettin some of those things soon, such as a full catback + header, i already have a short ram(which will be gone when i put the turbo on right? cause the turbo pipe goes to the TB, correct?), and then i needa new clutch soonso i think im gettin a stage 2 for it, and then not to do with the turbo but im gettin a full suspension, struts and lowering springs, but ill start to get into the parts here soon i think, just need to get some more money [&o]haha,but ya this should be a fun project to get going over the summer, hopefully get done by the end and then i can start college with a built turbo 420a with like 250@ the wheels[8D]now that would be sickk, haha, i doubt ill get that much from a 420a tho, i think im gonna end up gettin a new block from what i have now and then puttin on a 4g63 head, would that work or should i just stick with an entirely new 420a and build it?

also, what # injectors should i get? and like what a 255lph pump or what exactly should i try and go with on this?

Quick Reply: Turbo Possibility