Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

turbo psi settings and turbo id

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Default turbo psi settings and turbo id

hi all, i am new to this site and new to td`s. I have a mitsubishi shogun sport 2.5td on an 03 plate and was wondering if there is any way of identifying what turbo i have on my 4x4, my next dilema is that i have been having trouble with the turbo. when i bought the car and they sent it off to have the turbo overhauled which was great and it kicks in everytime i put my foot down not so much in 3rd and 4th gear but 1st and 2nd is great, i took it back and told him i couldnt feel it kick in much in 3rd and 4th and we took it for a spin with the boost gauge set up on the turbo. when running under load it was running at 12psi i think it was he said, i told him that i have drove a similar 4x4 to mine and that had much more pull in the 3rd and 4th gears and he said he would check with mitsubishi to see what there readings should be for my turbo, i have since found out from him that it can go up to about 16psi for my turbo as a safe working setting, i have to take it back to him to have it adjusted, would the other 4 psi what needs to be corrected show a bit more kick in the higher gears, thanks for any replys in advance and hope this is another good site.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Default RE: turbo psi settings and turbo id

Can you take a pic of the turbos info plate? Or post the numbers on the side of the turbo? It's most likely a Mitsu turbo (obviously, right, lol). Get an A/R number, model number, serial number, and any other info that is on the turbo.
Unless the turbo is small and just running out of "air" up high, I would say that there's something else going on. Possibly knock issues. Knock will pull timing back to keep from detonating the motor and that could be why you don't "feel" it up top.