Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
05 Infiniti G35
0%
06 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR
50.00%
Other
0%
What Sebba says
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

05 G35 or 05/06 Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Default 05 G35 or 05/06 Evo IX MR

Im in the market for a $20,000 used car mileage ehh under 100,000. Im looking for a 2 door 6 speed manual either AWD or RWD but seats 4. DOHC with some sort of Variable Valve Timing and Coil over plug wires. Also I need something well balanced with decent front to rear weight distribution and great Handling, I want to get into road racing.I narrowed it down to 2 cars if you think of something else let me know.

05 Infiniti G35 -
Pros - Sexy sound, Front Mid Engine RWD great balance and handling, sexy look, luxury and sporty look and feel, room for me plus 3 others, trunk room, Capable of running "True" Dual Exhaust. Twin Turbo Kit avaliable for it , Brembo 4/2 piston calipersfront/rear, sexy exhaust sound,Sleeper Potential, alot of parts are avalible in our computers. I Love Nissan cars.

Cons -have yet to be in the back seat to see how comfortable it would be, Heavier than the evo and 350Z, Headlightshape, IMOstock front bumber doesn'tsupply efficient cooling (still doing research), Parts cost because of the"Infiniti" name, gas mileage NA versus Boosted EVO, too common

06Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR -
Pros - Boosted from factory, that S-AWD system with ACDoooooh :0(shivers), alot like my avenger more familiar with fixing it than the G35, Light wieght rims, 4cy engine easier and cheaper to build up than a 6cyl or 8cyl (correct me if Im wrong but I figure its cheaper to buy 4 pistons than 6 or 8 ) Very rare counted 5 Daily Driversthe 3 yearsI've been in TX.

Cons- Alot of TSB, Mitsubishi still can't seem to make a good transfercase, the 6 speedis weaker than the 5 speed,Looks too "Look at me ImFast" attracts alot of cops andstreet racers, I HATE 4 door race cars. IMO running too much boost from factory, im sick of the 4 cly sound they all sound the same too me except for the Subaru, correct me if Im wrong but they have 2 coils for 2 cylinders. Disappointent that Mitsubishi is JUST now coming out with a variable valve timing system for this car. parts cost because its an "Evolution" , also alot of the Evolution parts are not avaliable in our computers. Boring interior, and Mitsuibishi still seem to struggle to make a good Boost gauge

I have yet to driver or get me hands on an Evolution for even an oil change so I can't fully compare the too. I need you guys to fill me in on that car. Also with the EvoI plan to build it up to 400 -450AWHP then swap it all over to a 2 door 4 seat car, the catch with that is the car im swapping it over too has aweaker body and not as Aerodynamically sound as the EVOANDI might have to get an aftermarketbumper for better airflow.

sooo What should I get? (multiple choice)

Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 05 G35 or 05/06 Evo IX MR

i say go with an Evo IX GSR. I think the MR is overrated. You can get a GSR and have that thing running over 400hp with barely any mods

Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 PM

So answer why you need a 6speed car? I vote to get the Evo RS. Its a perfect track car or get an Evo SE. The MR SUCKS!!! the tranny is junk they have weak 4-6 gears that break alot. 6 spd trannies are way overrated. you do realize that a 5 spd Evo has the same final drive as a 6spd there for is faster because it requires one less shift to get to the same speed as a MR not to mention the added weight. So that said you do realize you seem to want this track type car and adding things like leather and nice stereo and all the options the G has your just slowing yourself wayyy down. I mean we are talking a 12 sec car from the factory vs a high 13 sec car with limited moddablity at a price and not so easy to work on.

As for the Tcase you havent done to much homework I guess. The Tcases have been fine since 05. The 03-04s are the weak ones with an open diff. Take care of fluid changes and the tcase will live fine. All of your cons on the Evo are very weak IMO except the interior. The MIVEC has been in JDM and UK Evos for a long time it is nothing new. To much boost form the factory? How do you figure? it hits full boost at 3k if not sooner. 20PSI is not over doing it at all on this car. The Evo is a freak it can handle alot of boost without needing higher octane fuels. In order to run 18PSI in the supra you NEED at least 100octane. If you dont want cops remove the wing and call it a day. a Modded G35 will attrack just as much attention. It all comes down to who is driving the car and how they are driving it. I have yet to be stopped in my supra. The Evo I was stopped like 10 times all for having a Rejection sticker for 11 months. After that I was fine and my car was fast and loud as all hell. Boost gauge? I mean really? Are you going to rely on the factory one? NO car has a factory boost gauge that you can rely on

Yes the Evo is 2 coil. Who gives a **** you can change that if you need to have a C.O.P setup. BTW parts cost are not much. you can build a 500+WHP Evo now for short money. and 400WHP is like cake walk.

The way I see it, youll never get an Evo and ruin it by making it a 2door lol. I think you really might be in a little over your head at this point without actually trying out each car. I bet after testing both thoroughly youll pick the Evo. It is much more suited for tracks of all kinds. The G is more of a hope in and enjoy the drive around town.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

also what do you mean by "also alot of the Evolution parts are not avaliable in our computers"?

Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM

6 speed feel more natural to me like its something a sportscar is suppose to have.I agree with you on the RS perfect track care IMO but with that boring interior and no power locks for the rear doors. Man you don't understand How Much I can NOT stand 4 door cars. Theres a long story behind my choice in the cars I chose thats more personal. I already admitted that the G35 is Heavier than both the 350Z and Evo. Honestly why would you need navigation, heated seats and mirrors on a track car? You know all of that can be removed right? With the RS there is less to remove but Im going to have the car I choose stock for a while untill I finishin the maintenance on it since they are used. I need a car I like being in. even with the Twin Turbo the G35 runs mid to High 12's w/ 6-8lbs but its hard to compare the too because they have displacement and different internals.

I don't understand the 05 comment. You mean from 05 - 09 or 05 down? I was going by the recalls/TSB i pulled up at work on Alldata/MitchellonMitsubishi carsand alot of post I read on EVO, Eclipse, and 3000GT forums about there T-cases going out.Answer me this how arepeople getting into accidents whenthere T-casego out? I mean whats wrong with the brakes and steering? Them going out could possiblebe driver error, I did already say I've yet to drive an evo. Why is MIVEC on non of the previous American cars? emissions, cost? Im not shipping a car over here. About the boost I said that was my opinion for that car its normal I don't even think that block even knows its forced induction they way it takes to it. And still has decent gas mileage. If your right to what it comes down Im really not getting the evo. I going to look like I supply weed and traffic it with that car with these dreadlocks lol , Im lookin at it like this lowered with aftermarket rims which cars seem less likely to say "Im a racer" . AS far as the boost gauge that was suppose to bea question. Why put something on car thats not going to be acurate thats all Im saying? And why are they not accurate? I honestly fell that Coil over plug should come factory with that car expecially since its a tuner.

Oh I work parts and service, Our computers do not list too many Lancer evolution parts nor any of the Ralliart parts. I even called a friend who works at another parts store and he doesn't either. There is a 3rd company I could try but Im better off getting them from the dealership.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

what parts are you talking about, maintenance or aftermarket. Maintenance you can get from alot of places online like mitsubishiparts.com and they really arnt that bad from the dealer. But really what type of things are you talking about. And i feel like you are putting importance on things in all the wrong places. I mean COP really isnt all that big a deal and same with Variable valve timing. So what youll get alittle more on the low end. Its not all that big a deal.

And what he was saying is that the VIII is really where they had alot of the tcase issues. There really arnt all that many complaints in the 05-06 evos. I will say that the 6spd does give you better gearing for the highway and such, but the 5spd if i remember is better setup for a sports car.

and as far as the boost. I dont think you realize how safe the tune is on those cars (hence why it runs the boost it does). And its running a 16g where it really needs to run boost like that to get something out of it. Also it really doesnt get all that good gas mileage because of the very conservative tune it will run very rich. But a good tune on it and youll still have very safe AFR's and youll actually get better gas mileage than stock. (not to mention adding some power at the same time.

What he was saying about the RS is that techincally its the very best evo for a track car. But he wasnt saying you really should get that. Notice he said to get an SE. That gives you all the options and still the better setup for a track car. And your not spending the extra money for no reason IMO.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Maintenance parts sincethey are both going to used the 1st thing Im going to do is the Timing belt/Chain and water pump. I like COP its easier to do diag on and see whats going on in each cylinder. VVT make the most out of the engine over both are smart better designs and costly. My infiniti the COP each is $120(walk in customer cost)but cant get mad because I haven't replaced them in 100,000 miles and last ones were still good.Im looking at that as performance potential C.O.P. You know I want lowend power right?

I was talking about the previous model T-case for 91 - 05 mitsubishi AWD line up not just the evo. And see I never even heard of an SE model Evolution I will have to look into that. hmm Its really hard for me to compare the 2 since I havenot driven and Evo thats why I was looking for you here at MF to fill me in. I know the performce on the EVO beats the G35 Hands down, but what of it as a DD? The big problem with finding info on the evo is I always read and hear abouts its performance, and how people build them up and sell them.

Oh yeah with the swap, Im going to get someone else to do the electrical but as far as swaping over parts I don't find too much of a difference between the two cars. Im waiting from a customer to come through to put his car on a lift so I can do some measurments and take some pics.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

I say get the G35. The build quality is far superior to the EVO, and it is a much more pleasurable car to drive. My brother owned one and it was amazing.

I also rode in the back of the G35 for 350 miles and I'm 6ft 2... and it wasn't bad.

It really depends what you want the car for. Do you want a good every day cruiser, do you care about every day luxuries, do you care about reliability, do you care about maintenance costs... etc.

G35: Luxury, Speed, Prestige, very reliable.

EVO: AWD, 4 door (more space), forced induction... and I can't think of anything else.

I would also recommend getting the 04 G35 purely because they offered the Brembo package with it.

Oh, and if you do decide you want a G35, make sure you get it in the 6spd : )

Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 PM

I forgot to mention I was looking for a 200,000+ mile car. You guys have to understand I have SOOO much time ahead of me before I get into high performance and aftermarket parts. 1st Off I have to learn to drive these cars. I don't plan on buying another car so I need something with performance potential yet realiable. And another with the G35 alot of older ppl drive them, the Evo to me has that 18- 27 look.

Maybe Im not asking the right question. Emonz why did you sell you evo and go Supra?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned

You are looking for a car with 200k+ miles? Holy **** dude.

Quick Reply: 05 G35 or 05/06 Evo IX MR