Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Alright, so who would win

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Default Alright, so who would win

My buddy wants to race me in his new car. He has a
Stock IROC-Z, not sure of the year and i dont know if its a full exhuast or not but I dont think its a stock setup. Auto trans, now i took a ride in it and its snappy but i have nothing to compare that to as i'm always driving my car and as you know you can never really tell how snappy your car is if your driving.
RACING AGAINST
My stock 97 GS-T, the race would be from a roll of course but i have BRAND NEW tires, just had them put on last friday, and a stock bov which leaks at 8-9 lbs. Manual Trans and I plan on getting a K&N and a 1G bov a.s.a.p. so maybe i should wait until i have that installed.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Banned
Default RE: Alright, so who would win

get a freakin MBC an boost gauge!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:06 AM

Is it this one?

..and does this guy drive it?

[sm=roll.gif]

1985-1990 are the years of the IROC-Z ("International Race Of Champions"). The first year came out with a rated 215hp motor, the latter years came out with 235hp.
I think it's a driver's race. You can get him off the line but the drivetrain loss may allow him to catch up.
Do what Sebz suggested and you may stay in front from a dig, but from a roll, he'll probably get you.
That's assuming that he doesn't have any motor mods and those facts are correct.
However, anything can happen and he may be a crappy driver..or even you (no offense), so it all depends.
I say do it after you've got a 1G bov and boost gauge and MBC so that you don't lose pressure. You'll still top off at aroun 5500RPMs but those two things will help.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 AM

LOL, I dont know why he bought that because he wanted a Eclipse after i gave him a ride but yeah thats what it looks like. I didn't really consider a boost gauge a mod but i do have one.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Perfect... then get a boost controler

Old 07-21-2007, 03:49 PM

automatic for the win!

honestly, you should definitly win. No problem, even off a role. i-rocs are 17+ year old cars, the hp that was claimed by chevy has now dimished to merely 3/4 of what it came with stock. The motor is old, and should be no match for you. And the automatic transmission, unless it has a high stall, will be extremely sluggish from a take off.

let us know by how many trainlenghts you beat him by.

gus

Old 07-21-2007, 05:14 PM

That's true Gus. I forgot about that tidbit. Although, his buddy could have a bought one with a semi-recently rebuilt motor. I know that if I bought a 90-92 DSM, first thing I would do is have the motor rebuilt..unless there was proof that the motor was already rebuilt and at least within the last 3-4 years.
It's never bad to start off fresh

Old 07-21-2007, 05:41 PM

Im with Gus, and would put my money on the DSM.... Older F-Bodies generally have issues at this point, and the liklihood of a rebuild of the (stock) motor of that car is low... Most people that own those would sooner put a 350 or 383 in there, than rebuild the stock 305. I know that some low percentage of Iroc-Zs came with a 350 stock, but an even LOWER percentage of those cars were produced with 5spd trannies. If its a 5spd, and stock, its a better odd that its got its stock beat up 305 (without the TPI).

Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 PM

I don't know why you wouldn't win in a hp to weight issue. You weigh around 2900lbs with 210hp I believe and they are probably 215hp with probably 3300lbs I would guess? I'm a Camaro guy but the closestI have come to a 3rd gen is a Morrisonrace frame for 4 link with a full cage and a back shell of a third gen with nothing in it, hanging from the garage ceiling. And it is for sale, but that is a story in itself with a cage that should be rewelded (I did not weld it, my welds look awesome, just certified for 8.5 on my '72 cage I made). Never rode in a 3rd gen for more than 300 feet except with a car with a bad motor that I gave away for free. Ask me about 2nd gens and I could school you, specifically '70 to '73. BUT, take it to the track if you really want to race him. Go practice first and you will be surprised of your advantage just from practicing. Sticky tires would help too.

And the mullet guys don't do too bad, take a look at the wife and offspring...actually, I don't have a mullet, anymore. Just kidding, I've never had a mullet.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:20 PM

Lol, that mullet pic popped into my head when I saw the first pic of that 3G, I lmao and I knew I just had to put it in the post, lol.
I don't mean anything by it. I knew plenty of 3G owners that didn't have mullets either, but you got to admit, it was funny

Oh, and yes, you've done well for yourself Oldschool, I give you props bud [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Alright, so who would win