Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bought 2003 Lancer With Lien

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Exclamation Bought 2003 Lancer With Lien

Hello,
I'm new to the site, but I'm in dire need of help.
My boyfriend and I have just bought a car off of craiglist, we thought we did everything right, we checked out the car, it was it good condition. BUT we didn't do a bill of sale at all (this is my first car buy). When we went to put it into our names, we found it has a lien on it, a child support lien. The title didn't contain the lien information on it at all. We've tried to call this guy back several times and no answer. What is going to happen to this car? We can't register it under our names and can't get plates for it! (He took the plate).

I found out the lien holders number and tried to call them, but they say I need the lien case number, in which I don't have. Even the address on this title is the wrong one (dmv confirmed this), and they're unable to give me this information, or I don't know how they can give me this information. All we have of his information is on this title which is NOT recent.
We're going to try to see what a car fax will give us information wise, but there is always this possibility that it's not on there or whether or not getting his updated information will help us.

Is there any way I can get this lien removed? Or is there a certain amount I can pay to get rid of this lien to satisfy the lien holder?

Please, if anyone can give me more information about it, I'm extremely worried, I was just robbed, and all I have is me as a witness to the transaction.

Last edited by RoxyGrilli; 09-27-2012 at 07:22 PM.