Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Fuel-economy rules could kill US auto industry: union chief

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Default Fuel-economy rules could kill US auto industry: union chief

Tough new fuel-economy standards now pending in Congress could lead to the dismantling of what remains of the US domestic car industry, the president of the United Auto Workers union warned Thursday.
"We're being told that we must choose between protecting our environment versus protecting our jobs," said UAW president Ron Gettelfinger as he thrust himself into the center of a contentious debate over fuel economy.
Gettelfinger claimed that the current bill would force General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Company and Chrysler LLC to shift production of compact cars overseas.
"The US companies will no longer have an incentive to balance their full-size car production here with US production of smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles," he told the Economic Club of Detroit.
"The inevitable result is that small-car production will be shifted overseas and tens of thousands of workers will lose their jobs."
In addition, the bill would also force manufacturers to curb the production of large trucks and sport utility vehicles in order to meet tougher corporate average fuel economy standards.
Gettelfinger said his union has always been a strong advocate for workplace safety and environmental progress but believes there are better ways to curb gasoline consumption.
"There's a much better bill before Congress -- a bill that would require a sharp increase in fuel economy standards in a responsible manner that would help our industry and preserve American jobs," he said.
The bill favored by the union and US automakers would increase fuel economy standards by 28 percent to 40 percent by 2022 -- essentially offering bigger cuts over a longer period of time.
"That gives automakers sufficient time to re-tool their plants to shift towards more fuel efficient vehicles," Gettelfinger said.
The bill approved by the Senate in June would increase standards by about 35 percent across the board by 2018, making some gasoline-guzzlers obsolete.
http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Fuel_ec..._09062007.html

yeah, I got a lot of sympathy for unions. Maybe we can use their heads to block up all those cows causing global warming.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Default RE: Fuel-economy rules could kill US auto industry: union chief

2022-2018 NOT ENOUGH!!!!, well its their fault for using so last century technologies, you could easily run most suvs under turbo diesel EASY, also, the hybrid technology is already avaible... theyre stupid, its time to innovate, like in the food chaing, keep up or drop down

Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 PM

it's not stupidity, it's greed. Now that GM is on their knees and hemorraging billions of dollars, they've decided to release another electric car. They plan to build 60,000 in the first year.

I met a guy years ago who used to work for US Steel before they went bankrupt and folded. He told me that because of union rules they had 1 guy who took everybody's time cards and punched them....presumably to insure people were not punching for friends. That guy was paid 72,000 a year...this was back in the late 80s. No business is going to survive when you are paying a guy 72k per annum to punch a card. The UAW is just another blood soaked tick.

...not that I have any strong feelings about it one way or the other.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM

oh yeah im familiar with the US Steel case, those 72000 a year would have been GREAT if they had updated their IT systems... see, greed is stupidity, if there was some less greed in there, US Steel would be a kickass industry by now, specially nowadays were investing on companies is the new fashion.... ANYWAYS, haha, GM is PRETTTTYYYYY going down, so they NEED to get that car to be a hit or else theyre gonna be on trouble.... thing is, it just doesnt fit in my mind how for example toyota can build up full size pickups that dont burn that much fuel as fords or gms new ones... i mean
common sense is failing to most people now atm, and the redneck population is growing so it means a lot of families have at least 2 cars you need a foldable chair to get in to.
Not to mention this time of oil crissis makes US craves for oil.... good work on turning the back on the koreans for negotiating with terrorists... when they buy their oil....

Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 PM

toyota sales are way down too. They just launched an american style insentive campaign to get the deadwood off their lot. Oil is hovering around $73 a barrel....which is complete BS. The price is artificially inflated because of unstable futures.....caused by an oil tycoon who is profitting from scaring the hell out of the rest of the world. It's a good time to make profit off of misery.
I'm sure GM won't have any problem selling electrics. It's a move of desperation. They have to change if they want to survive.
You are definitely right about the relationship between greed and stupidity. It's just like the monkey trying to get the apple out of the jar.
Why Toyota is succeeding where Ford and GM fail is a bit of a mystery. I mean it's pretty obvious that Toyota is beating them in quality control and public relations but I don't believe that Japanese engineers are necessarily any better than American engineers....so, I'm thinking that the problem is farther up the food chain and that the best and the brightest are being shot down by entrenched old style management. It's pretty obvious that American automakers have been deliberately building crap for 30 years. GM has cried that their excessively generous pention and health plans have saddled them with too much overhead...so, now they want to weasel out of those agreements. And I would agree that unions which are little more than licensed mafia shops are sucking the life out of this country. But George Bush granted the automakers a retroactive tax break for US automakers back to 1986! I mean this is billions of dollars in windfall and the only thing the automakers did was hand out golden parachutes to their laziest lizards. So, let them wither.