Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
88.89%
no
0%
dont care
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

is this a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Default is this a good idea?

Ok, this is way off topic, but...........
I was reading the military.com news earlier and came upon a story that is very heartwarming........
A Lt. in the USMC married his fiancee in Cali from the front lines of the War in Iraq......
They were married to ensure that both the fiancee and their baby would be covered under military benifits should he be killed in the war .......
Now I ask all you, mostly civilians, is this a good idea or not?????
k, im bored and curious if you have to know...........

P.S. this is not a "the war in Iraq" thread, it is for opinion of the said matter and why or why not.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Default RE: is this a good idea?

i believe it is just because the guy cares enough about his girl to set up something like this, all the trouble it would be worth, all the channels you have to go thru and get permission from........ especially when the number of adultry charges against the U.S. military goes up every year...... just thought it was one of those things you dont see enough of anymore........

Old 09-17-2004, 10:15 PM

good idea for the fam if he gets killed... but kinda stupid to bring your fiance and unborn child into the middle of a war isn't it? hmm.. more power to him, but does their marraige hold up if he dies? they aren't legally married in the US.. they are in IRAQ, hmm..

Old 09-17-2004, 10:28 PM

stupid to bring the family into the war? theyre already in the war by him being over there so i dont see how they are brought into it... they are leagally married in the U.S., Cali Gov. Schwartzenager ( or however the hell you spell that ) legallized proxy marrige just the other day, for this specific reason....... sorry, probly shoudve pointed that out...........

Old 09-18-2004, 08:15 PM

hehe...my buddy married his girlfriend of two month's(he managed to knock her up already) right before he left for Camp Pendleton for training. He'll be in Iraq by November, and the kids gonna be born like in February of next year. I think he did the best thing he could for her and his kid. He joined the Marines before this war started and didn't think he'd be in any real danger any time soon. Then they call him back in June and he has train to leave and risk his life....and he totally hates it. Atleast if he doesn't make it, the government will have to take care of his family, he says. Kinda screwing them for screwing him. Man i really hope he doesn't end up going to Iraq, he was my drinking buddy.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:27 PM

yea, i almost got married right after boot camp (thank GOD i changed my mind), shes nuts, but i was gonna do it for the same reason, she wasnt knocked up but i wanted her, and my fam, to be taken care of if i was sent to war and didnt make it back..........

Old 09-28-2004, 05:45 PM

Guess who paid for her trip over there...... You guess it... You did.... Although i dont quite agree with gettin married in iraq... i have a few friends in that situation... who rushed a marrige before they left...

Old 09-30-2004, 05:40 PM

yea, i talked one of my buddies out of it, especially good cause he got discharged durrin the middle of bootcamp......... he woulda been really screwed.....its kinda funny though....... hehehe.........

Old 10-01-2004, 04:40 PM

understandable... but I meant actually brining them OVER to the war, not just into it.. we are all in it.. i don't know, more power to them I guess... just think its weird...guess Im not ready to get married yet so..

Old 10-03-2004, 05:19 PM

ok, sorry, the groom was in Iraq, the bride was in Cali with a stand in for the groom, it was done i belive over the internet, both families were there and it was just like a traditional wedding, only without the physical exchanges of the ceremony (i hope, hehe). sorry shoulda clarified that sooner........

Quick Reply: is this a good idea?