Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Half assed sellout...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default Half assed sellout...

Well folks looks like I've done it now. The 'Quest is pissin me off enough and proving that it's still gonna fight me every step of the way. I get to work and back most days but the last straw came in the form of 3 problems hitting at once. 1.) Speedo stopped working 2 days after I replaced the cable (I know the cause and it's just being a bitch for some odd reason) 2.) oil leak somewhere that I'll have to track down and fix. 3.) alternator stopped charging after being rebuilt less than 2 months before the car was taken apart for an engine rebuild. So now I'm left needing a reliable car and wanting to put this thing in the garage till she's 100% again. Well I found it.

I know I've mentioned it before and posted a few pics here I believe but it's finally home and made the drive here from Chesapeake nicely. looks like I'll be concentrating on her a bit more now than before so I can get her up and going and not have to worry about needing to drive the Conquest. She starts up every time now that I've gotten some good gas through the carb and flushed some of the crap out and she'll be much better on gas than the guzzling 'quest ever will be (till it's running right of course then MAYBE it'll get better).

On a side note, I'll be taking the Conquest to Dinwiddie speedway on March 8th for the annual Virginia Starquest meet. Hopefully I'll have her running right by then and will be posting some track times after that day. I'd REALLY like to see what she can do with everything that I've done to her so far. but then again it's also tempting to take the Super Beetle up there since it has a cam and headers in it already and will pop the front wheels offthe ground from a dead stop...

just figured I'd give a little update on what I've been working on. I'll have to take a few new pics of the engine bay once I finish the silicone vac line replacement in the next day or so. Especially since I put new pretty blue NGK wires in the quest.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Default RE: Half assed sellout...

so... what exactly is your reliable car? i dont remember seeing posts about one...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:33 AM

i was wondering the same thing...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing's reliable at the moment. Have to fix the horn, the brake lights, and the generator light on the bug then it'll be my reliable car. My current driver is my '88 Chrysler Conquest TSi though. It's going through the above mentioned issues as well as a few others I'm sure I haven't found yet.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM

yeah but your "reliable" car isn't it an old vdub bug??

Old 02-12-2008, 01:09 PM

I think he's using a term wrong and throwing everyone off..he's saying "reliable" when it probably should said as a "daily driver" which will be is Beetle.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Actually the Beetle is probably going to be quite reliable once it's ready to go. I just got a few of the parts in to get things working right. Brake light switches, glove box, and handle seal are all in. Now to get everything put together and figure the horn and the generator light out.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 PM

it's amazing that they still make parts for those cars.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM

I thought you were gonna say, "Im selling it" at some point in that first post[&:]

Old 02-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not gonna lie. The thought has crossed my mind more than once. But I don't think I could do it. Not at this juncture.