Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

In the middle of repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default In the middle of repairs

Well guys I started the work on my car the other day. I'm replacing the timing chain, the removing the balance shafts, replacing the oil pump, and doing all associated gaskets. So I finally got the timing chain cover off and what I got to see was this:

Now for those NOT mechanically inclined, not knowing the insides of an engine, or what might have caused the damage you're looking at, that is the INSIDE of the timing chain cover. That grove is NOT meant to be there and is actually caused by chain slap from the timing chain. That groove is ALSO on the backside of where the water pump was bolted. The balance shaft chain guide was also deeply grooved due to this happening. This is what the BS chain guide looks like:

There is more damage and I'll post more pics later. I will also be resizing these when I get home tonight for better viewing.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Default RE: In the middle of repairs

Thats bad, right?

Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Uuummm.... Yeah...

Like I said I'll take some more pics and resize and you'll see what I am facing. I'll be JB Welding the cover hopefully it'll be all right.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:15 PM

ouch, that's ugly

Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 PM

i know but holy mother of god huge pics!!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 PM

I think Sang was just trying to show the detail of the groove and the rest of the damage..Good thing you tore it down when you did and caught the damage before the chain broke and started bending valves and ****...that would've been a big headache.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

What car was this on?

Old 11-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Well nice thinkin shreff and I know your heart was in the right place but I have a non interference engine. These pics were taken from my '88 Chrysler Conquest TSi. Some of you might know it as a Mitsubishi Starion. Yes that red car starin down the dump truck in the pics in my gallery. It's a SOHC 2.6L turbo charged intercooled engine. I took a few more pics and am in the process of d/ling them and resizing all the pics now. Have them updated shortly.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

All right the pics have been resized and look MUCH better. Hopefully you will all see the damage I'm up against to repair thanks to a slack timing chain and worrn parts. I'll be working on it tonight and hopefully ready to go tomorrow so I can finish the job.

Look at the top of the cover in this first pic. Note the 3 lines that go ||| there. those are from the links that hold the timing chain together. They have worn themselves grooves in the cover.

Again another angle on the damage to the rear section of the water pump mounting space. Thankfully the groove does NOT go completely through at any point. I was lucky to catch it as this would have had DISASTEROUS effects upon my poor little engine (I.E. coolant in the oil).

This is a view from the top of the cover. This gives you an idea how far out the chain was pushing if you look at the right of the pic you can see the 3 grooves I pointed out in the 1st pic. they aren't INCREDIBLY deep but deep enough to cause problems elsewhere if left to it's own devices. I will take pics tommorrow of the chain itself so you get a better idea EXACTLY how far out it was going to be cutting those grooves.

Finally notice the little nub there. It originally was a piece that looked like it's 2 brother (seen to the left and right in this pic). It was molded at an angle for a reason but with the massive slack in the chain it really didn't matter. a good chunk of THAT piece was taken off. Another spot I will be attempting to repair with JB Weld.

That does it for pics tonight folks. I'll keep updating the thread and adding more pics as I take them. Wish me luck in the repairs. I now have 1/2 my engine lying around in my portable garage in various boxes lol.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:11 AM

oh that's outta the conquest?..My bad

Quick Reply: In the middle of repairs