Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

In the middle of repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Default RE: In the middle of repairs

geeze that sucks. was that the only thing wrong with the motor?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:20 AM

Are you working on it in your mom's dining room? Dude yer mom's gonna be pissed...better get that cleaned up LOL

Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hopefully. I dumped over $600 in parts and tools to fix this thing. I'm hoping that there isn't a rear main leak but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. 119K on the engine right now. Hopin to add another 120K at LEAST to her before I do a full rebuild top to bottom (Actually I want to get a spare short block, bore it and thinking about o-ringin it then build it for power).

Old 11-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

its times like these im glad i dont have an interference motor anymore

I like how the dog is in oe of the pics trying to get in it

Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

I don't believe the 2.6L was an interference motor. Just a bitch when it started losing tension unfortunately. I've started epoxying the cover and will be sanding it all day I'm sure. As well as trying to get the oil pump and other balance shaft out of the car and the oil pan off her. ALOT more to do still and NO freakin time YARG lol.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:18 AM

is this car honestly worth all that you have been puttin into it? i dont know much about them but i do know you have put a lot into that car...did it ever run?

Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Did it ever RUN?!?!?! Hahahaha YES these cars are worth the time and effort. EVERY bit of it. This car ran for over 3 months (obviously residual problems showing slowly but surely) and my GOD this thing is FAST. Effortlessly blows through 100 MPH like it wasn't even tryin. You're talking about a car that will easily stomp a 5.0 'stang with little to no mods at all. This thing has a rare 2.6L turbo charged engine. Stock out of the box with no mods it boasts 188 HP. There are few of these cars left though and of those left a majority are boasting over 250HP and higher. There are a few with over 500 and at least 2 that I know of that are over 600HP one of those being over 800HP. Those are just the ones I can confirm I KNOW about. I'm sure there are more out there boasting some good #'s. If I had to guess on mine I'd say I'm around 225HP once I finish the mods and work I've started.

So yeah it's worth it. Every penny of it.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

i dont really think its the performance as much that makes that car, because there are plenty of cars that can get that HP and quickness. I think its more the classic styling and rarity that make it worth it.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Actually it's not really even that. Yes rarity and styling ARE part of it but I just LOVE driving it. How it effortlessly gains speed, how on any given day I can pull out onto the main road and goose the gas to break 'em loose sliding nicely onto the road. The looks I get when I pull into somewhere and people ask me WTF just stomped 'em and I tell 'em it's a Chrysler Conquest. Yes it's more than performance that makes it worth it. It's the experience of driving her that makes the repairs worth every cent.

BTW a quick update: New oil pump in place, timing chain, tensioner, and guides as well as new crank and cam gears are all in place. Found an interesting situation when I finally got the timing chain off on Sunday morning (In the pouring rain no less...). The crank gear had a decent crack where the keyway locks in. I took pics hopefully they came out... I'm going to keep the gear. I have reinstalled the oil pickup tube and oil pan though seem to have misplaced my oil plug. So I've been unable to prime the oil pump as I planned to today. But with the way things are rolling now I should be done with her and back on the road again by the weekend. Don't quote me on that though I've not been feeling well so I may not work on it a few days.