Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Newest update on the Rio project

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default Newest update on the Rio project

Well I haven't been here a while mostly due to the beginning of tourist season, and college (I work at a campground and actually this weekend is THE kickoff for the summer. The place is PACKED right now I don't think there is a single empty camp site currently). But I figured I'd take a quick minute to let you guys know how my car is coming .

Block, crank, rods, and pistons all went to the shop about a month ago. Finally got them all back. Crank turned and polished, rods and pistons cleaned and balanced, block cleaned and checked. Well this past week I decided to take a different route. As of Friday I have placed the order and have 20 over wiseco 8.0:1 pistons on the way using the pressed wrist pin on stock con rods that have been race prepped via shot peening and polishing. I have a non-jet valve head slightly polished, front and rear sway bars, and next to be ordered will be a full turbo back 3" exhaust system. On the way is a bored and polished 52MM throttle body with liquid filled fuel pressure guage installed.

Last week I managed to get a full set of louvers for my car and now have them installed on my car. Once I get a chance I'll take a few updated pics for you guys to see what's going on with the car.

Next up is sending the crank out to get balanced and taking the block out with the timing chain cover and have the assembly decked as a single piece and then get it bored out 20 over.

She'll make some good power once I get her back together and hopefully be able to hold her own getting into the 13's on the 1/4 If I hit low 13's or even 12's I'll be extatic. Means I'll also need a helmet and probably look into a full 5 point to make it track legal lol. I don't really see myself doing that until I get something like a 16G to replace the 12A but I'll save up for the next group buy on the SQC site to bore the 12a exhaust and compressor housings and get the 16G cartridge installed .

Old 05-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Default RE: Another update on the Rio project

Good to hear from you bro. Hopefully by the time you get your car ripping up the streets I'll be back in VA for good...probably Richmond area though.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Hex where do you think I'll be takin her to hit the 1/4? Either Dinwiddie or Petersburg BOTH aren't far from richmond. You'll have to come up to the track one day and run a couple against me

Old 05-27-2007, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

Hex where do you think I'll be takin her to hit the 1/4? Either Dinwiddie or Petersburg BOTH aren't far from richmond. You'll have to come up to the track one day and run a couple against me
...that and hang out before you have to head back to Va. Bch.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned

So glad you decided to do this rather than keep it stock and original!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Different car Sebba. The Fiji (Blue automatic) is actually getting parted out and will end up scrap. Ended up having ALOT of damage that was unseen uner the car and the engine was in much worse shape than the PO let on. So it's going to supply some necessary parts for the Rio project.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 AM

Well, that sucks bro. That was a good looking color too. At least you know when to cut your losses.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah basically I can't afford to do 2 full engine rebuilds, eliminate the rust and damage under the car, and can use WAY too many parts elsewhere. Besides that I don't have the space to let the car sit around until I CAN afford to do the rebuild and the $ could definately be used to do the rebuild.

Due to the fact that you're the only one that's been responding Silver, I'm guessing there are probably 3 people thjat understand what I'm doing to the engine lol.

The exhaust system got ordered today so I'll be dumping the 2.5" DP I got since I have a full 3" going in as soon as it gets here

Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

so what car is this we are talking about?

Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

The red one in my pic gallery

Quick Reply: Newest update on the Rio project