Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Pit Bulls

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Default Pit Bulls

Are people afraid of the name or do they just not understand the dog?
I'm just curious what you all think.
I feel that the media has been overzealous and that banning of the "Pit Bull" is becoming a full on witch hunt.
These dogs are loyal and very intelligent. They have been used for many years to protect people and their property. They have been used as rescue dogs and as therapy dogs. If they are really that dangerous why would people use them for these. They have also been used in television. Remember Petey from the Little Rascals? A pit bull was honored in WWI for saving some American Soldiers.
I read a story about a Pit Bull that was used as a rescue dog. The trainer and the dog were taking their certification test. There were other dogs there that were used, a lab and a breed of hound dog I believe, well one of the tests had the dogs searching for an 11 year old boy. A barrier of ****** wire fenceing was put between the dogs and where the boy was hiding. Well when the first two dogs went they got to the barrier and had to wait for their trainers to create an opening for them so that they could get through to the young boy. Well when it was the pit bulls turn it came to the same obsticle, it ran up and down the barrier trying to find an opening. Well instead of waiting for the trainer it just went right through the fencing straight to the boy. After the session was over and 17 stitches later the dog wanted to go back to work again right away.
Tell me is this a good dog or not?

Old 04-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Default RE: Pit Bulls

My girlfriends pitbull is nice as hell...never bites or growles or anything.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:39 AM

thats good to hear. sounds like she has trained the pup well. We need to hear more positive stuff like that.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Normally a pitbull is a direct reflection of its owner and training.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 PM

I agree, but I why is it some people do not see it that way?
When I take my Pit Phoenix to the dog park sometimes most of the people in the park clear out only a few stay.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Most folks understand that any pet's attitude is a direct reflection of their owner + how the dog is treated. It's like a child and vice versa. I saw one the other day at the vet. It was obviously neglected as it didn't listen to his owner and the owner was getting very upset. I suspect that behind closed doors, the poor little guy is abused. In the end, a person may have nice intensions but they still end up allowing their short fuses to get the best of them, that = mean Pit. As do a lot of animals, they react to our behaviors at that moment, whether good or bad, it doesn't matter because they can read our body language and vocal tones, both on purpose and accident. That and it's overall training as was stated by TheStealth.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:41 PM

This is true. Its just too bad that they are banned by apartment complexs and mortgage ins company's. I just think the media ruined this dogs rep and it may not recover.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:56 PM

ive never been a big fan of pit bulls.. not because of the bad rep, i just dont like them that much. i do like big dogs tho.. like great danes and bull mastifs.. which in fact i have really wanted to get one since i saw my friends 250 lb mastif one drunk night

Old 04-08-2007, 09:26 PM

good/bad timing on the post bro. i have had a pit for the last 2 1/2 years and just last night i found out that he got out of the yard w/o his collar on so he's now lost. i'm litteraly at my g/f's work making copies of a lost dog flier to find him. my take on it is the same as ppl, i don't judge anything/anybody just on a name or looks. my dog wouldn't hurt a fly!

Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 PM

If you have myspace post it on there as well. I hope you find your pup. Don't know what I would do if I lost mine