Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Political Sciece Extra Credit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Default Political Sciece Extra Credit

ok, here's another problem, that anyone may help me with if they please i have extra credit due friday, but i don't really kno most of the questions, so if anyone knows any of them, here they are, and the guidlines for them.
any help is great, u can email the answers if u kno them. thanks much!

Each of the following questions is worth no more than 5 points. I would suspect, given the nature of the questions, that you could not give thorough answers in much less than a page. You should word process your answers checking carefully for spelling and grammar. To get any credit at all, you must submit your answers to me no later than the beginning of our final exam period on May 10. Attach this sheet to your answers.

1. As Americans, we take pride in the many rights that we have. Often it is not clear what happens
when rights conflict with one another. What are rights? What are the two ways that rights conflict?
Provide two examples of each of the ways that rights conflict and explain them. Where do we turn for
help when our rights have conflicted?

2. With the end of the Civil War and the ratification of the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth
Amendments, it seemed like African Americans would finally obtain certain fundamental rights, such
as the right to vote and equal protection under the law. What strategies did southerners (and some
northerners) use to continue to deny African Americans these rights? How were these rights
ultimately achieved?

3. Explain the role of the parties in Congress. How does party leadership differ between the two
chambers and why? Explain recent trends in party leadership strength over time as well as the
reasons for changing strength.

4. Fully discuss the double expectations gap. What does each of the gaps mean for the power of the
presidency?

5. Discuss the power to persuade, going public, presidential character, and presidential style. Why are
these personal features so important to presidential success? How do they help us to understand
the presidency in ways that just studying the constitutional powers of the presidency does not?

6. Discuss the consequences of a bureaucratic culture.

7. In Federalist No. 78, Alexander Hamilton argued that the judiciary was the least dangerous branch of government. Many people would argue that Hamilton was incorrect and that today's courts wield an enormous amount of power. Why did Hamilton feel as he did, and what led to the courts' increase in power? What have been the implications of this increase in power? Do you think Hamilton would
have a problem with the role the courts play today? Why or why not?

8. Explain how the electoral college works and why it is unlikely that this system will be changed.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Default RE: Political Sciece Extra Credit

Do your own work, ya lazy bastard. [:@]

Old 05-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well for # 1 think about it. historically we have ALWAYS had rights that conflict. First off read the first few lines of the Constitution. Especially the parts about "All men were created equal..." But yet though the blacks were brought here and born here they are given no rights until the civil war era? this question just requires a little thinking and creative ways to look at our rights and liberties.

You've got me on #'s 2, 3 and 4. The most I know is that there are 2 parties and each is respresentative of a certain class of society. One is looking out for the blue collar workers and the other is trying to keep the rich white collars best interests in mind... at least that's how I understood it...

For #5... First off a prime example of why those features are NECESSARY for presidential success is FDR. If he had not had the powers of persuasion, an ability to be public and guide, have a determination and character, and had style he NEVER wouold have even made it into the Oval office. remember FDR was crippled due to disease and that was definately something that people frowned upon in a leader. Also look at Kennedy our youngest and argueably most popular president, and Lincoln who made some of the most famous, well known, and commonly recited speeches in the US.

I'm not sure how to answer #6... Consequences of the beurocratic culture allows people more freedom and more say in how they live. Vice a kingdom where what the king says goes no matter what the people say.

As for #7, I believe that Hamilton thought the courts were the weakest branch due to the fact that they weilded no real power against the beurocratic devices of the Legislative and executive branches. The legislative branch creates the rules, the executive approves the rules. the judicial branch more or less enforces the rules. Quite frankly I think hamilton would feel the exact same today that he did then. Though there have been changes in the system the judicial is still the weakest branch.

Numver 8... The electoral college essentially works by having people vote then those votes going to a set of electors. They examine the votes and cast thier ballots essentially in the way the people inform them they want to. So essentially the people are suggesting to the electoral college how they would like to see the voting go. Then the electoral college does the true voting. The system will likely not change merely due to the fact that it's been in place so long. With current technology the electoral college will eventually one day be obsolete.

Hope thi helps some (Mostly I BS so no garauntees on WTF I'm talking about here LOL)

Old 05-11-2006, 04:10 PM

You like suckin' up to the Noobs, don't you Sang?

Old 05-11-2006, 04:31 PM

any help is appreciated, bs or not. haha

Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 PM

I meant he's a Noob suck up for helping one get extra credt. There are 2 reasons for wanting/needing extra credit. 1) You're an idiot and didn't do the work, so now you NEED it to pass the class... if this is true, Sang just helped you get extra credit without you doing any work.. thus, not earning ****. I have no respect and despise people that do this. 2) You're a total genius ***** who doesn't think 100% is enough, so you WANT more... only way to do that is to do extra credit. If this were true, you wouldn't need Sang or anyone else's help. I think I'm going with option (1) for you.

*sighs* I feel better now. [8D]

Old 05-11-2006, 06:04 PM

we'll say answer 1.5
simply cause i am doing fine in the class, and i don't need the extra credit to pass the class, i also haven't had time to do the extra credit yet, so i figured that maybe there are some political genius's out there, cause I know I am not one. I plan on doing it later on tonight time permitting, not to mention if I do it all and get it all right, I can climb a whole grade from my ever so deserved B to an A if possilbe, but I know I won't get it all perfect. but o well, so 1.5 is the answer.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 PM

Asking for someone else to do the work for you means you're not earning it. But since you dont need it to pass, sure, 1.5. You still suck *** though. Do it yourself Noob.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

*sigh* What I hate are @$$holes that sit here and whine about someone asking for a little help... Have you even BOTHERED trying college kevin? In this case I'd have to say there's 2 reasons... 1.) You're too lazy to get off yer @$$ and learn something or 2.) You know and admit you're not smart enough to learn much more than high school... For your sake I hope #1 but I'm guessing 2. Now get a life and lose the 'tude... It's starting to rub me the wrong way again.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:01 PM

I'm starting to wonder if Admins can go on P/A, because you certainly need to Sang. You think I rub you the wrong way?... I want to kill you just about everytime you open your mouth. So we're in the same boat bitch.

Quick Reply: Political Sciece Extra Credit