Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sexiest part of vista!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Default RE: Sexiest part of vista!

I'm still rocking 2000pro... It works fine for me.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

Silver - In the past, upgrading Mac/Apple computers was indeed a pain, as they were built exclusively in house and almost all the parts were modified for Apple's use. Since the release of the PCI-Express format and Apple using Intel chipsets, its gotten very easy to upgrade an Apple computer. As for software, Apple's are still a joke when it comes to playing games or running about half the software out there.

When you deal with software you have two choices, you can limit what will run and guarantee better security (Apple) or you can allow a ton of 3rd party software and be prepared to deal with security issues (Windows). The reality is, the main reason that Windows is the #1 OS in the world is simply because of the ease of use and the ability to buy cheap computers.

Also, as far as operating systems.....Apple doesnt really allow much in the way of 3rd party software....and most of what they have allowed....was to enable them to use Windows based software. Linux while great, is still nowhere near capable of ever threatening Windows as an OS replacement. Why? Because it relies on open source, which is more of a forum style of support. Plus, with the way Apple has been moving as of late....I wouldnt be surprised if Apple/Windows became interchangable in the near future. As for gaming, Apple's are a joke. They have the hardware, but they still dont support DirectX or Open GL to the degree that they need to.

Emonz57 - Vista isnt nearly as horrible as you think, the biggest problem is the Aero setup. It really does require a good video card, and that's why it seems such a resource hog. The days of onboard video for Vista simply wont get it done, least not in a desktop computer. Eliminate the video card issue or shut off the Aero features and you'd be surprised at how much faster Vista becomes, at least from my experience.

Windows Millenium wasnt a bad idea. Windows XP is a direct result of Windows ME, as they took Windows 2000 and ME and voila, Windows XP. The problem with Millenium is that it was released too fast and it was to be honest, more of a Windows 98 update then a true OS replacement. I ran Millenium for about a year with very few issues, mostly Open GL crashing after certain games. I do agree that it was a PITA, but the last 2 Microsoft releases have done quite well.

As for moving to Vista, I always follow the rule of waiting for the first Service Pack before upgrading. I've had Vista since it was in Beta, as we did some Beta testing, but I wont switch to it for my daily use machine until I know the first round of possible issues is eliminated.
I didnt say it was bad it is just a memory hog.... no joke

Old 02-28-2007, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

um... i'm using window's xp... how far behind am I?? lol
+1 gonna be like that for years on this computer!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Banned

Little slow there devils reject LOL.

May i ask... who are you? I really dont remember you lol

Old 03-01-2007, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Eh well, I really didnt follow you around

As for who I am, I'm the guy who edited your sig so the forum name went bye bye...

thestealth and silvercoupe know me

Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Banned

Oh ok cool

Old 03-01-2007, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Eh well, I really didnt follow you around

As for who I am, I'm the guy who edited your sig so the forum name went bye bye...

thestealth and silvercoupe know me
and that was the start of another off topic thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:01 AM

ORIGINAL: thestealth

I'm still rocking 2000pro... It works fine for me.
holy god..... That is some old tech

Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM

I know it is...but it does all I need it to do...so why upgrade.