Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Should I buy this?

Old 01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Default Should I buy this?

What's up all! Been a while since I've been on here. Most of you already know that I own a '99 Eclipse GS-T. I have a chance to buy a GReddy Type S BOV, upper hard piping, AutoMeter boost gauge, AutoMeter A/F gauge, and AutoMeter water gauge from a friend of mine. I'm planning on upgrading to an Evo III 16G turbo and allllllll supporting mods that go with it, fuel system, boost gauge, boost controller, intercooler, etc. etc....When I mod my engine I want to do it right the first time. My friend is asking $200 for everything (BOV, gauges, piping)....It's all brand new...He bought it for a '99 GS-X with only 43,000 miles on it he once owned but traded the car on a freakin Trailblazer like 6 months after he bought it...Yeah, I know! I told him I would've bought the car and had 2 Eclipses to play with!! So what I'm asking here is.....
Would the GReddy Type S BOV that he wants to sell me be a decent bov for this type of setup or should I go with the GReddy Type RS like I originally planned? And what about the AutoMeter boost gauge, is that a decent one? And am I getting a good deal at his $200 asking price for everything he wants to sell me?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Default RE: Should I buy this?

A BOV is a BOV, IMO. If you attempt to exhaust it to atmosphere I forsee trouble in the near future though.... DSMs hate that.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 PM

no, he says it's a recirculated one which I know I need anyway

Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Is it authentic gear or is it the cheap e-bay crap? I don't think you're getting a good deal for $200 for the BOV and the boost guage? I picked up 3 guages for less than $100 but the BOV IF it's authentic seems to be running in the area of $200+ by itself. So I guess if everything is legit you're not getting too bad a deal.

Make sure you smack him for trading the Eclipse though.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM

I wanted to smack him up side the head for that one Sang, believe me! and I'm getting more than a BOV and a boost gauge. I also get upper hard piping, A/F gauge, and water temp. gauge. all gauges by AutoMeter

Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Did he get the Trailblazer SS?

Btw autometer gauges are pertty decent, I have a set of autometer phantom gauges and I love them.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

To me gauges are gauges. If they work then they're good. I have cheap gauges but they've never let me down. I've checked the readings against other instruments and they've been fairly accurate. If you're getting all that for the 200 I'd say it's a good deal as long as, like I said, they aren't knock off cheap garbage. If the parts are authentic (mostly worried about the BOV) then yeah it's an awesome deal and you should definitely go for it.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 AM

Everything is authentic Sang...he sent me pics of everything. But it's too late cuz he put everything up for sale on E-Bay...It's all good cuz I'll just go and buy some new **** when the time comes. He bought a Trailblazer LS so it's not even the sporty Trailblazer..Just a normal every day one. Poor GS-X, I would've given it a happy home if I would've known he wanted out of it Oh well, what can ya do?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Well damn that'd been a hell of a deal. Oh well you'll find another soon enough I'm sure.

I need to start lookin for a BOV for my 'quest too... Seems mine doesn't want to play nice anymore. Doesn't vent anymore for some reason. Probably needs disassembled and cleaned maybe lubed as well... Bah another on the list of crap to do lately.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

is the AF guage just a Narrowband. If so its useless, and so is the water temp. So basically all your getting that you actually need is a boost guage (autometer are fine.) and a BOV (assuming its not ebay brand)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy this?