Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

this is so random....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Default RE: this is so random....

ORIGINAL: Silvertooth

Oh that's right, your name is Larry.

Are you a health inspector too? :-D
hahaha I know... well actually a Guy I work with is Larry so we give him a hard time about it

Old 03-22-2006, 05:44 PM

Lol really? That's awesome lol.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

DSL is horrible. If it were cable I would be able to help (professional Cable guy LMAO)
Tell me why the people I know think Cable sucks than.[:-] lol..j/k

I have DSL and pay $29.99 per month with Verizon. If you pay $14.99 per month or something like that you have their "slow"DSL designed to be just a step up from dialup with the advantages of DSL and Cable. The highspeed DSL is more than adequate to load any pages you're browsing quickly. Are you on a wireless link with a "host" computer? Meaning do you have another computer that you have the DSL and DSL modem wired into, or is this one directly wired to the modem? If you are directly wired with this computer, you may be on the outer boundaries of the DSL area, which means that the "signal' gets weaker as it travels through the phone lines which is why DSL is not available in all areas.(per Verizon not me) You can also delete the cookies and temporary internet files and keep the days that the pages are stored in the memory to one day. Your antivirus may be outdated. There are always new virus' popping up and that means you need to keep downloading the most current antivirus software or you will get a virus even though your software says your computer is clean.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 PM

Verizon is cheaper than cable and there is a reason to it. It is less reliable it is noticeabley slower its not avail every where (lack of fiber) and if you call in to have a tech come out for a trouble call forget it, they have the worst customer service of all time. they take nothing serious (ask TheEngineer) on top of that they carge you $$$ if they have to walk into your house.

TheEngineer uses DSL and we play Xbox online alot every time we can hear his phone ring over the headset in the backround a few seconds later he lags out be cause the phone stresses the internet. Cable is Much different since the cable is run with Fiber up to a NODE which feeds about 200 people with R\F from there it is much more reliable and can service anyone who has a cable connection. Not to mention customer service is free for anything we have to do to repair a problem and we are alot of times there the same day you call if not the next day. I have been called out at 2-3AM in the middle of the night for cable outages. not likely to see the verizon guy doing that lol.

Both services have ther pros and cons If any of you have heard of Verison FIOS that is a new Fiber optic to the home cable they are doing for internet phone and son TV and that is better than any cable company out there right now no doubt but the customer service is still not in there favor.

as for if you are using wireless chances are that could be most or the problem. mine goes up and down with wireless unless it is on the laptop which is pretty strong all the time because the PC here is so far from my router im surprised I cn connect as good as I do lol.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

That's what I was gettign at first was cleaning up the temp files. Look into a program called Window Washer. It'll clean out unnecessary crap and clean up the free space (Free space also contains some odds and ends that weren't deleted when the files was). Also defragging the HD will lump the information for different files together so the HD doesn't have to look all over the place for files parts.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:45 AM

you guys are too much ....but i love you all ....anyway ..... ive had the computer for apx five months ....i used to run defrags on my computer frequently, but yoyo me cant figure out how to do it on this one - and if i knew what an internet cache was or better yet how to clean it i would.....and lastly i dont know what my page file is set to or im guessing its preset but i dont know what that is either ..... wow San you sure knew how to make me look like an *** ....hah just kidding ...

btw my computer is a hp pavillion a1016x if that helps

and i have dsl broadband i think its called?

Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

All right on your desktop you have an icon called My Computer right? Now right click it and click properties. Click the tab that says Advanced at the top of the window that comes up. Now first off under the performance there is a setting button. Click it and you can change to better performance or better looks or let the computer choose the best settings. This COULD possibly alter the look of windows. Now at the top are 2 other tabs. Click the ADVANCED tab at the top again. Look at the bottom. There is a section that says virtual memory. Click the button that says CHANGE. Now look at the top 3 settings. The choices are Custom size (With 2 windows for you to set the size), System Managed Size, an No Paiging File. Make sure system managed size is selected and click set. Click OK. Click OK again. And click OK for a third time. And you're done with that part.

Now on to the Internet cache. Open your browser (I'm assuming you use Internet Explorer?) Click tools at the top. Click internet options. Under the Temporary Internet Files section click delete files and if you want click delete cookies as well. Click OK after all that is done. You've just cleaned your inernet cache.

Now for the defrag. If you can't find it on the computer (Should be there if you click start then programs then accessories then system tools) if it's not on the start menu at all then click start then run. Type DEFRAG and hit enter. This will automatically open the program for you to run.

These things SHOULD help you a bit. If you need more assistance feel free to PM me and I'll give ya my # to talk you through it.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:11 PM

I am sure that is why you will give her your number, Sang. Yep.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:05 PM

grrrr

Old 03-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

I gave you my # too when you needed help so I don't even wanna hear it Amber

Quick Reply: this is so random....