Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Taking a new career path...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default Taking a new career path...

Well some of you guys know I have been in college the past 2 years. I was in the A.A.S. program for IT/Web design. The whole time I have been working 4 hours a day 5-6 days a week cleaning bathrooms at a campground out here. Was making $7.50 (Now up to $8.00) an hour. But as of December 20th 2007 I finished my coursework and today I received my degree in the mail from ECPI. So I officially have a degree in web design

Last week I had an interview with the Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce. I got the call yesterday and was offered the job. So I will be working there starting on March 10th. (and what timing 2 days after the VA meet ).

She offered me the job making $30k a year plus benefits. I know not much BUT it's experience in my field and the lower pay is more than balanced out by the benefits. First I will be working bank hours. That's basically 8-4:30 or so every day.I also won't be working any holidays (Basically if the banks are closed I'm not working) and I also have the ENTIRE week before x-mas off.

Now for the benefits... First is the medical insurance. She told me they do a 90% paid medical. Dental is 100%, life insurance is 100% I can't remember what the amount was. They also have a 401K and will match what I put in up to a total of 10%. 2 weeks vacation a year after the first year and after the 5th year 3 weeks a year then 4 weeks a year after 10 years.

All in all I believe I landed a pretty decent job for entry level. not to mention that being this is the Chamber of Commerce, businesses are their members (It's a not for profit organization) which will give me TONS of contacts for possible freelance work. I think this'll set me up nicely for a while.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Default RE: Taking a new career path...

30k/year is a lot more than you were making at $8/hr. cleaning sh!tters..congrats dude...the benefits sound decent...stick with it for a while and good luck to ya.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hey that sounds like a good place to start expecially w/ all the benefits your getting. Deff take the offer.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shreff99

30k/year is a lot more than you were making at $8/hr. cleaning sh!tters..congrats dude...the benefits sound decent...stick with it for a while and good luck to ya.
I was actually going to point out that your math was off then I redid my calculations and realized I'm making almost double what I do now. With the benefits it's an outstanding job!

Though now I've pissed the gf off since we went through the math and she's not making what she thought she was

Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM

Good bene's 30k a year is a hell of alot better than $8 an hour.I have no clue what my job is yearly but with OT if you get that youll do ok.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Nah no overtime I don't think. The way she explained the work day was like this: Bank hours with a semi flex schedule. Basically they start between 7 and 9 AM. Then they leave between 4 and 5:30 PM. If you start at 7 you leave at 4. If you start at 9 you leave at 5:30. If you end up staying late for some reason then you make it up later in the week maybe leaving a little early or coming in a little later. So I'm guessing they don't do overtime. Especially since I'm pretty sure that it's not a wage job. I get the same every check no matter how long I work I think.

And if you want to know your approximate yearly income, $ per hour*8*5*52. That'll give you your approximately yearly income of course if you work for wages then it doesn't factor your overtime or anything of that nature you might get.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Ok so mine is 38729.60 but this past year the OT raked in alot I suppose since my year end was just over $49k lol gotta love OT

Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 PM

well congrats sang thats some good money youll be making up there

Old 02-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

congrats. That is some pretty awesome benefits. I make more but i definetly suffer in the benefit department at my work

Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

The lady said, when I went for the interview, that since they are a Not-For-Profit organization, they don't have a big budget. So she said what they don't have to offer for salary, they try to make up for in benefits. And right now I need ALOT of dental work done (long story and all attributed to the military and what they did as well as what they didn't do) and even though the VA hospitol is getting me set up, I think I'm only covered for like 3 more years by them as a veteran of the war on terrorism. So once they stop caring for me I'll be relying heavily on the medical coverage as well. Again yeah I may be only 28 but they're looking at alot of medical related stuff unfortunately. Back problems, a constant tremor mostly in my hands, breathing problems ETC. So yeah it's going to be a BIG plus there.

And there's also a yearly raise from what she said in the interview so it won't be half bad I'm sure. Besides it'll give me the experience I need to be able to claim so I can apply for any of the better jobs

Quick Reply: Taking a new career path...