Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tokyo Drift.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Default RE: Tokyo Drift.......

true, i dont think the movie had that kind of $$ and enough driver to get everyone sliding....

Old 06-18-2006, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: tidus10

true, i dont think the movie had that kind of $$ and enough driver to get everyone sliding....
Heres the faq's:
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)

* Volkswagen donated 4 prototype R32's and 4 Touran minivans to fulfill its pledge with Universal to plug each other's products. As a result, R32's are in the movie.

* Toyo donated 4000 tires for the movie. Roughly half were used. Volk Racing donated 170 wheels as well.

* 600 Asian extras were used during the LA filming days for the street scenes.

* The Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX, an AWD (all wheel drive) car, was converted to RWD in order to drift properly. Same thing was done with 2 of the VW R32's (which are also AWD).

* The VeilSide RX-7 driven by "Hans" used to be a special show car built by VeilSide and crowned "Best of Show 2005" at Tokyo Auto Salon, reportedly worth $150000. Just the custom leather interior reported cost $20000. Universal got it for $50000, and the crew promptly destroyed both the interior and exterior by repainting both (with spray-paint).

* One of the cars never before seen on American TV or Film is the Toyota Chaser, a Camry-sized sedan that has Lexus SC300's engine. Obviously, it was never exported to the US, and previously was only seen on US soil in special drift demo events.

* One of the Mustangs (out of 5) was actually converted to use a Nissan Skyline GT-R engine and transmission, just as the storyline says happened. However, that process took considerably more than just one evening as it did in the movie.

* The movie crew went to Japan and bought as many JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) vehicles as they needed. JDM vehicles have the steering wheel on the right.

* Over 100 cars were destroyed/wrecked during the filming of this movie.

* All of the drifting in the movie was performed by professional drivers, not created by CGI. As reported in a recent Sport Compact Car, Rhys Millen, his father, and a handful of other famous rally and drift racers consistently performed amazing drift sequences for the movie.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 AM

ORIGINAL: BrunoBoy650

ORIGINAL: tidus10

Heres the faq's:
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)

* Volkswagen donated 4 prototype R32's and 4 Touran minivans to fulfill its pledge with Universal to plug each other's products. As a result, R32's are in the movie.

* Toyo donated 4000 tires for the movie. Roughly half were used. Volk Racing donated 170 wheels as well.

* 600 Asian extras were used during the LA filming days for the street scenes.

* The Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX, an AWD (all wheel drive) car, was converted to RWD in order to drift properly. Same thing was done with 2 of the VW R32's (which are also AWD).

* The VeilSide RX-7 driven by "Hans" used to be a special show car built by VeilSide and crowned "Best of Show 2005" at Tokyo Auto Salon, reportedly worth $150000. Just the custom leather interior reported cost $20000. Universal got it for $50000, and the crew promptly destroyed both the interior and exterior by repainting both (with spray-paint).

* One of the cars never before seen on American TV or Film is the Toyota Chaser, a Camry-sized sedan that has Lexus SC300's engine. Obviously, it was never exported to the US, and previously was only seen on US soil in special drift demo events.

* One of the Mustangs (out of 5) was actually converted to use a Nissan Skyline GT-R engine and transmission, just as the storyline says happened. However, that process took considerably more than just one evening as it did in the movie.

* The movie crew went to Japan and bought as many JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) vehicles as they needed. JDM vehicles have the steering wheel on the right.

* Over 100 cars were destroyed/wrecked during the filming of this movie.

* All of the drifting in the movie was performed by professional drivers, not created by CGI. As reported in a recent Sport Compact Car, Rhys Millen, his father, and a handful of other famous rally and drift racers consistently performed amazing drift sequences for the movie.
they did

Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 AM

They actually wrecked some of the cars in the making of the movie....

Old 06-19-2006, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: XTREME

of course

Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: XTREME

thank you capton obvious..

and i'm still sceptic on all that junk you said...i'll do my own looking

Old 06-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BrunoBoy650

I still call bull **** on this one. Just from the previews i can tell there is now way alot of it is real. At the very least they had one car go at a time and just drift. Then used the computer to put everything else in (background, other cars, cars drifting next to cars, ect.)

Old 06-19-2006, 04:33 PM

captain and skeptic is the correct spelling...wasn't that obvious?

Old 06-19-2006, 08:08 PM

I have not seen the movie yet, I am hopeful. A few months ago I had no idea what drifting was (And I am not ashamed to admit ) Anyway I did what most smart people do when they are ingorant of something and I googled "Drifting" I saw some cool videos some with 4-5 cars drifting counter clockwise to each other. I hope they used real drivers and not CGI.

Just my 2 cents

Old 06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Actually it's rather easy to get the drifting done with multiple cars. First take the mountain scene (First one when dude is with chickypoo) Now they CAN actualy coreogrph that and ther ARE drivers THAT good that can drift that. Otherwise they can do 1 car at a time with a computer controlled camera that takes the same exact motions every time and records one car at a time. Then they put the different videos together and youy get all the cars at the same time. But I am fairly certain they coreographed the dift scenes and that they were real.

Also if anyone was paying attention the REAL drift king, Keiichi Tsuchiya, was actually in the movie as well. I was rather pleased with it. Nothing like FNF2 was.

Quick Reply: Tokyo Drift.......