Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Valve Cover Painting

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Default RE: Valve Cover Painting

bruno... that was really really late, thanks for bringing back bad memories jackass lol...

looks good though man, it is a little too bright but looks better than stock

Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 AM

ORIGINAL: bestwiseguy

Powder coating really isnt that expensive if you find a good place. I had mine done locally for 40 bucks and it looked awsome.
That is also te old 4g63 covor which has no shape to it. The Evo cover is HUGE money to Powdercoat because of its shape. The 420a has a little deeper of a cut as well. We all know I am not cheap with mods I have a $1500 clutch in my car but PC the valve cover is not something worth the money when I can paint it the right way and work just as well. I wont be useing spoof can. Ill be paining mine Tarmac black (the paint and clear alone cost $150 and that was half of powdercoating it). paint with a spray gun and all will work fine

Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 AM

egh dude... gotta make the -DOHC- a diff color!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 AM

The brightness came from where i reinstalled it in the dark and used my flash on the cam.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

Powder coating really isnt that expensive if you find a good place. I had mine done locally for 40 bucks and it looked awsome.
That is also te old 4g63 covor which has no shape to it. The Evo cover is HUGE money to Powdercoat because of its shape. The 420a has a little deeper of a cut as well. We all know I am not cheap with mods I have a $1500 clutch in my car but PC the valve cover is not something worth the money when I can paint it the right way and work just as well. I wont be useing spoof can. Ill be paining mine Tarmac black (the paint and clear alone cost $150 and that was half of powdercoating it). paint with a spray gun and all will work fine
That's cool if it will take the heat butfor the money, I'm with powdercoat. One of my detailing millionaire customers has a powdercoat shop and I'm sure he'll return the favor of work I have done to hisfleet of vehicles (dozens of hot rods, '08 Avalanche LTZ, '08 2500 HD crew cab, '06 Vette convertable).But even $150 isn't that bad.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: shreff99

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

That's cool if it will take the heat but for the money, I'm with powdercoat. One of my detailing millionaire customers has a powdercoat shop and I'm sure he'll return the favor of work I have done to his fleet of vehicles (dozens of hot rods, '08 Avalanche LTZ, '08 2500 HD crew cab, '06 Vette convertable). But even $150 isn't that bad.
to pc the evo vc it would cost well over 300. a dsm would prob cost 1/4 of that because of shape and depth alone. to paint mine the color of the body is only 150 for the supplies and by doing it with clear and spraying from a gun you won't even be able to tell the difference by looking at it. using a gun is doing it the right way, spoof can that bot so much

Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM

As long as the heat won't make it flake off. Is there some kind of high degree stuff added to the factory paint when you do this that I don't know about yet? Maybe I'm missing something here with your theory of painting the VC with the factory car exterior paint.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM

it can take that heat. the evo paint in general takes heat behond normal on the hood because the turbo cooks it. even still I have done this to far worse things including other valvecovers and never had it flake off before. as a matter of fact the same paint and clear we used on NESpeeds corvettes calipers no issues thus far

Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 PM

No ****?....did not know this...hmm...interesting info

Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM

yea, deff use high temp, and do u drive a turbo? jw
double slap

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Painting