Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

wierd turbo setup...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Default wierd turbo setup...

i saw someone on streetfire who put a turbo on i think a lexus.. but the turbo was way down my the exhaust tip... like, past the muffler... what purpose would that serve other than to get the sound of a turbo?

Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Default RE: wierd turbo setup...

post the vid...this i gotta see

Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM

there was an eclipse on ebay like that. they were made for trucks. no turbo manifold it works the same. just needs more piping.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:02 PM

not just trucks b/c i seen them on vetts.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

I think it is most likely the GS300 because its a 2JZGE engine... and most swap it out with the Supra 2JZGTE twin turbo engine

Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Its called the squire turbo system(Spelling ?). It works off the same principle as a ordinary turbo system only instead of boltingup to a exhaust manifold it actually replaces themuffler.Then you runintake piping from the compressor to your intake manifold. It's actually an ingenious setup.

Here is the link if you want to check it out: www.ststurbo.com

Old 11-15-2007, 06:16 PM

a pic

Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 PM

if i did somthin like that id make the filter go to the trunck (where a duct would feed cold air) cause water would be a b*** there

Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 PM

if im not mistaken, thats an STS turbo setup. they're seen a lot on corvettes and such

Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: bestwiseguy
It works off the same principle as a ordinary turbo system only instead of boltingup to a exhaust manifold it actually replaces themuffler.Then you runintake piping from the compressor to your intake manifold. It's actually an ingenious setup.
I wouldnt call it all that ingenious...

With a rear mout turbo system the turbo is exposed to all sorts of elements such as water if you drive it in the rain. On some cars the intake can be mounted in a way that it wont be exposed to water under "normal" driving conditions however we all know that some puddles are deeper than they look. Also with it mounted in the rear the labor of running oil lines all the way to the rear is required. The problem i have with that is that there is a pissiblity under the right circumstances that the line could get punctured resulting in a blown turbo/motor. Lastly with the turbo mounted so far away from the motor it loses the heat transfer. As we all should know cold air is denser than hot air. The exaust leaving the block is extremely hot compaired the the exaust gas temp at the muffler. To make a long explanation short the closer the turbo is mounted to the motor the faster it will spool which is essential when racing turbo cars.

Its not a bad idea but like everything else car related it has its ups and downs. If you really would like to know more about the setups I would recomened reading user reviews on ls1tech.com. Most of the users of these type kits are vett owners, ls1 owners, and lt1 onwers. I ran into a guy who had one on his ls1 it was pretty cool... however my homeboys cam'ed ls1 was a **** load faster lol.

Quick Reply: wierd turbo setup...