Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

wild, out there A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Default RE: wild, out there A/C question

Ok.. some questions.. he said the tranny cooler should be placed in front of the radiator/ac condensor .. if it was in front of the radiator wouldn't that be like a front mounted intercooler? ... and what is an AC condensor?

And this is apparently the setup for it all (?):

Tranny --> Radiator --> Tranny cooler --> Tranny (as yours is).

Are there other ways to do it that are better, or is this the best way?

Also, I'm not sure how my eclipse is set up, but do all cars' tranny fluid go through the radiator or would I have to check to see if mine does? Isn't there a separate part of the radiator made specifically for the tranny fluid or something (I was reading about it earlier, hehe)?

Old 07-13-2006, 02:53 PM

I'm pretty sure all, or nearly all run through the radiator. You can skip running it through the radiator, but like Mark7 said, you'd have to take precautions in the winter time. I did notice that until my engine gets up to running temp, the tranny shifts a little sluggish due too the cold fluid, which is why I didn't opt to skip the radiator. BigTyla (the thread starter at 3si) is the guy I bought my kit from, so I do have a filter between the stock and aftermarket coolers. For a daily driven (read; not race car) that set-up should work just fine.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:57 PM

There's a filter involved too? [:-]

As for the winter-time precautions, I need not worry. I live in south AL.. fuggin' hot here.. during the winter time it does get in the 30s.. sometimes the 20's and teens.. but 30s and 40s is usually the lowest.

And what about the mounting question? .. regarding putting it in front of the radiator or AC condenser (still have no clue what an AC condenser is)

Old 07-13-2006, 03:06 PM

No need for a filter...per se...just peace of mind that I can change the filter every fluid change without having to drop the tranny pan.
The AC condensor is the radiator looking thing in front of your radiator.

When mounting it, you just want to make sure it is in a location that will get air flow. Either in front of the radiator, or in the duct that would feed the IC on a turbo eclipse.

Here is a write up (with pictures) about mounting the cooler in front of the AC condenser. It should be kinda similar to your DSM...

Old 07-13-2006, 03:19 PM

eh.. the tranny filter doesn't have to be changed THAT often.. sure dropping the pan is a pain the *** (for my car at least), but you don't have to change it all that often.

I guess I'll go ahead an get that B&M Supercooler Slow suggested a few posts up. About $50 .. and something to do on a boring Saturday. I chose the best month to do this to.. July/August in south AL.. yup.. heatness. Pure humid heatness. That equals SUCKness. haha

Well thanks for all the help guys.. When I get it in I'll probably run into some questions and post a thread about the actual problem in tech help or summin like that.

Have a good day!

Old 07-22-2006, 12:07 PM

UPDATE:

I just installed the B&M supercooler last/this morning. Didn't help the transmission slipping at all though. In the time it took my engine to warm up so I could check the fluid it had already heated up to the slipping point.

The cooler may help the fluid, but there's no helping the tranny with it. Looks like my baby has to go in the shop

If you would like to donate to the Mysterio2099 Transmission Repair Fund, please contact him at mysterio2099@gmail.com, lol

Old 07-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

$150 from the local pick'n'pull or u wrench it or whatever. But it's probably the clutches slipping so it will require a rebuild. Shouldn't be more than $500 though...