Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
TAKE THE MONEY!
81.82%
SAY NO TO THE MONEY!
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

WOuld you take a settlement if you got hurt at work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Default WOuld you take a settlement if you got hurt at work?

I got hurt at work recently and I am scarred for life on my nose and it looks pretty bad. I was just wondering how many people would accept money for this or turn it down.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Default RE: WOuld you take a settlement if you got hurt at work?

Been there the settlement is workers comp or something like that not your work who pays it.... take the money I did when I got hurt at work. and I later quit working there to move to Florida about a year later but no hard feelings since the company re hired me recently so the settlement has nothing to do with them I dont think

Old 07-04-2006, 01:06 AM

actually the company would probably encourage you to file it... its more like a good practice type thing...the company has insurance on you anyways

Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

i think it really depends too on what they offer. If they give you a bogus offer just trying to get you to not want more then you might want to fight for something. Id ask people that have had a similiar injury or a doctor or something like that, that can tell you what you should expect to get.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

Unless its something huge. Facial disfigurment is worth big cash in a court room.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:04 PM

BUMP...noone else?

Old 07-06-2006, 04:38 PM

Depends on the offer. You also need to factor in the idea of going through court which can be a long drawn out process if you don't feel their offer is appropriate. I believe their offer would be seperate from worker's comp...a claim like that will surely raise their premiums. Companies hat to show worker's comp claims, especially if they are a publicly traded company...doesn't look good to investors. I would expect them to offer a rather mediocre settlement to you in hopes of avoiding all the red tape involved if you decide to pursue them in court. Consider how much your time is worth when comparing the settlement offer with what an attorney or doctor feels you may get. Personally, I'd take the money if it was reasonable...the damage is already done. You can always sue for the cost of reconstructive surgery too.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:44 PM

I would say this depends on answers to a few questions such as how did it happen, how bad is the scar, what went wrong, and how much money are you wanting to get out of the case. The companies do have insurance as previously posted and will pay most or all of the cost to you but it doesn't make it right to totally rape them of money just to benefit yourself; I'm not trying to imply that's your intent.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:15 PM

I work at a personal injury law firm. You should talk to a personal injury lawyer. Seriously. You almost always have a case if there is loss of a limb, wrongful death, permanent damage,or scarring, esspecially if it is a facial scar. I've only worked at this office for a few months but Ive had that pounded into my head. call a personal injury lawyer.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:07 PM

so dude...how much ARE they offering if you don't mind us askin?

Quick Reply: WOuld you take a settlement if you got hurt at work?