93 Mighty Max 2.4L 4g64 Sohc

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Exclamation 93 Mighty Max 2.4L 4g64 Sohc

Hi all, First post here and maybe I will be able to get some answers.
Ive searched and searched for what seems now to have been the last year and a half only to end up nearly as clueless as I was before doing the searching...

I have the 93' MM 2x4 2.4 4g64 with over 200k on her and she is in dire need of rebuilding, not bad considering in 10 years all Ive had to do to the truck was general maintenance/tune ups, water pump, Clutch cable and timing belt.

Heres my question, I have read everywhere that the 4g64 is like the "block to have" cause its essentially a 2.0 4g63 Stroked with a cheap smack Sohc head and apparently the (some) heads are next to interchangeable on this block, (a few oil ports need blocked I think) but I have read many posts that say its more work than its worth, or "that head is backwards" when the post refers to the eclipses and which side the intake manifold is on and or the direction of operation of the motor i.e clockwise, counter clockwise, but I cant help to think that none of this "really" applies to putting it in a truck and not transverse. Are they actually spinning opposite of each other or is it the transmission determining the way the engine sits so it can use the spin correctly?

So then I discovered that the 94+ Mirages came out stock with a 4g64 Dohc.
Which Head do I need so do the Dohc swap?
The 1g 4g63 (larger intake and exhaust ports than the 2g+ or Dohc 4g64,)?
The 2g 4g63 (smaller ports than the 1g)?
The Evo head? (I think its a 4g63t but I could be wrong)
The Mirage 4g64 head? (does it require the same oil passages blocked?)
and I have also heard that the Saturn 1.8L Dohc head is exactally the same as the 1g eclipse head, but this is unconfirmed at this point.

and will I have to eliminate the balance shaft or will it stay? these are the things pleaguing my thought process and build at this moment...

Maybe a hardcore mitsu guy can help shed some light on this subject... any info you guys got on this subject would be a great help!

Thanks ahead of time and sorry for the ranting, I need to decide and get this thing done!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Looks like you guys know about what I know... guess I am looking for a 94 Galant GS with the top end intact, during removal I should be able to see what all I will need to do to "upgrade" my block to this head, as its the same exact block as I have it should mount up without the need to modify and block off the oil passages that the 1g 4g63 head dont cover... I will also have a LOT of port grinding to do to make it match size with the 1g ports which is 50% of the reasoning behind this modification during the rebuild. the other 50% is to update to the dohc and get rid of the crappy hydraulic lash rocker setup that knocks like bad neighbors on the ceiling.