PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

90 Eclipse 2.0 Overfueling

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Default 90 Eclipse 2.0 Overfueling

Past experience and good advice needed I am working on a 90 Eclipse that I bought for $50 with 80,000 miles when I got the car it was not running. I checked for spark and I have good spark I hooked up with my Snap On Solus scanner and everything seems to be O.K. no codes all sensors seem to be operating normally but the injector pulse width is way out of control it is pouring fuel into the cylinders. I have not had a chance to check the fuel PSI but I can make the car run if I disconnect the injectors and spin the engine over to clean out the cylinders. I pulled the rail and checked for leaking injectors and the are not leaking, the car will not idle but it will run at 2000RPM and above I also checked for vaccume leaks and dont find any. I am thinking PCM??? How about a little help? I am not a parts changer and dont believe in it so if you can help please do but lets be shure that you are giving sound advice.

I know that TP sensor, Air Flow Meter, Coolant Temp, O2 Sensor effect pulse width am I missing anything?[>:][>:]

Old 07-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Default RE: 90 Eclipse 2.0 Overfueling

I would have thought the coolant temp sensor was out of whack telling the pcm it cold outside and therefore dump more fuel than need to make it rich. I would double check that the old fashioned way using the boiling water trick and an ohmmeter (voltmeter). also, isnt there 2 coolant temp sensors? I know there are on some cars. good luck

Old 07-08-2006, 12:05 AM

Can the engine really overfuel itself on Fuel Injection motor? Do not have access to Snap On scanner, so can any let me know where the O2 sensor is? One of my injectors is leaking. What is a PCM?????

Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 AM

Same thing happend to me. suposidly there was a problem with the '90 model ECUs where acid from somewhere driped on somthing(So the guy told me[&:]) or their was a bad connection somewhere causing the engine to think it is being starved. Also along with my upgraded fuel pump, injectors, and rail, it was wantin to feed it waaaay to much. i replaced it with a '92 ecu and got a AFC2. solved everything. The idle should be fixed when you get the AFC. you realy need a widband and datalogger. this will help eminsely.

If your on a tight budgit you can find a used ECU at a junkyard for around $50. or check out DSMparts.com. it also depinds on what you plan on doin with it? daily driver, go with a used stock and get a piggy back or AFC, or is it going to be a racer? in that case get an aftermarket ECU.

total cost to fix came out to $250....man i love ebay

Dirtracineclipse: 1. Yes its called flooding.
2. its in your Exhaust manifold...i think.
3. replace it.
4. PCM=powertrain control module.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 AM

the early iac's go bad causing the engine to surge this in turn blows the ecm as for the scanner it covers every thing but fuel and ignition so you will not get a code if the engine will not idle down change the o-ring on the biss screw if that does not fix the problem find another iac