Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   PCM & Fuel Systems (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/pcm-fuel-systems-26/)
-   -   EGR block off! (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/pcm-fuel-systems-26/egr-block-off-15584/)

bud660r 01-06-2007 02:48 PM

RE: EGR block off!

why is it retarded

Manybrews 01-06-2007 04:35 PM

its retarded because
1)it raises combustion temps, thereby causing pinging
2)you loose milage
3)you increase emissions.

basically, you gain absolutly NOTHING by eliminating it. Its not functioning at idle or WOT anyway, so the excuse people use about "gaining power" is utter nonsense.

echostats 01-06-2007 04:48 PM

Agreed. You gain nothing AND it's so easy to make your own. Buying one is retarded as well as USING one.

bud660r 01-06-2007 08:28 PM

i am not looking to gain power i just want to lose all of the **** thats just hanging under my intake!

silvercoupe97 01-07-2007 05:57 AM

Correct, removing the EGR will do what you stated Manybrews.
What does happen when you remove it is, you remove any chance of vacuum leaks, you stop recirculating carbon, and that's one less thing to fail in a DSM.
I agree that it doesn't add HP, I never believed that either. What does that do for HP? You don't add HP, you only regain what was already there when you remove the EGR and Seafoam your motor. Raising engine temps, sure, but there are other things that will help lower it if you're really that concerned with it, but your engine temps don't go up enough to worry about melting things or knocking. Ping, is something you say about N/A cars, knock is what you mean I believe, Manybrews. That can be countered also, I've got alky injection on the boards as my next mod. That will help lower knock and raise my octane (that in turn will lower knock even more, which I don't have anyway). Gas milage? If I was that worried about it, I'd have a Toyota hybrid and not a 50-75lbs heavier than a GSX Avenger with GSX parts. Most DSM owners feel the same way, if they didn't, they would be buying bigger injectors and turbos, IMO.

If any of you get a chance, take the EGR valve off and scrape it with a piece of wood, a stick. Measure how many MM of carbon you just scraped off, now imagine that throughout the EGR's route. How much does a new EGR system cost? What does that do for HP? You don't add HP, you only regain what was already there when you remove the EGR and Seafoam your motor.
http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpag...M/130-7039.jpg
This thing gets really clogged up, it's about $88.

..but anyway, there's counters to both sides.

Here's some good reading about the EGR system and where the myths were first told.
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htm

bud660r 01-07-2007 09:39 PM

so geting rid of it is no big deal!

also like i was asking before one of the plates bolt's to the block directly right?

paintballproam 01-07-2007 10:22 PM

It bolts to the intake manifold. The reason im getting rid of it is cuz im doing a 6 bolt swap and dont want to deal with the map sensor. If you are really THAT worried about combustion temps then get alky/water injection or just a better FMIC and you could even spray it with co2.

Joel_CA 01-08-2007 04:43 AM

Raising engine temps, sure, but there are other things that will help lower it if you're really that concerned with it, but your engine temps don't go up enough to worry about melting things or knocking. Ping, is something you say about N/A cars, knock is what you mean I believe, Manybrews.
He said it would result in raised COMBUSTION temperatures, not engine temperatures. High combustion temperatures can result in pinging in any car as well as an increased amount of NOx emissions. Carbon is a byproduct of combustion- you'll have it in your engine with or without EGR.

J

silvercoupe97 01-08-2007 07:45 AM

You're right, but what happens when the combustion temps rise? Motor temps, not to mention engine bay temps will rise also...that's just a byproduct of heat in general, especialy in an engine bay. It's not localized in the combustion chambers.
Carbon is removed from the intake tract when the EGR is removed.
Of course carbon is still going to be in a combustion engine with or without the EGR.
Why does everyone try to keep folks from doing this? If you're worried about your air, petition the local tracks, hell, petition NASCAR!! Have the gov't take away old muscle car roaming around the streets of America, tell those bikers to get rid of their bikes, you know those big burly guys! Our motors will run fine with or without them, period. If guys don't want to take yours off or can't because of emission laws...don't, plain and simple. You guys crack me up.

Yes Bud66, the plate covers the hole on the side of the head that is left after you remove the EGR valve. There are usually two types of plates you can get too. One replaces the EGR valve and the other is used as a gasket but it's solid all the way through (except the bolt holes of course) and you retain the valve and you can also keep the EGR system intact.

bud660r 01-08-2007 08:58 PM

THANK YOU! finaly someone gives me a strate answer