PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

EGR block off!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 AM
Default RE: EGR block off!

You're right, but what happens when the combustion temps rise? Motor temps, not to mention engine bay temps will rise also...that's just a byproduct of heat in general, especialy in an engine bay. It's not localized in the combustion chambers.
Not exactly- engine temperature, sucking in hot air, etcscan have an affect on combustion temperatures- but high combustion temperatures (lean mixtures, etc) may not not neccesarily affect engine operating temperatures.

Why does everyone try to keep folks from doing this? If you're worried about your air, petition the local tracks, hell, petition NASCAR!! Have the gov't take away old muscle car roaming around the streets of America, tell those bikers to get rid of their bikes, you know those big burly guys! Our motors will run fine with or without them, period. If guys don't want to take yours off or can't because of emission laws...don't, plain and simple. You guys crack me up.
I was merely supporting the statement from Manybrews and all that he said. You can do what you want with your car for all i care.

J

Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 AM

BOOM goes your engine.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Joel_CA

You're right, but what happens when the combustion temps rise? Motor temps, not to mention engine bay temps will rise also...that's just a byproduct of heat in general, especialy in an engine bay. It's not localized in the combustion chambers.
Not exactly- engine temperature, sucking in hot air, etcscan have an affect on combustion temperatures- but high combustion temperatures (lean mixtures, etc) may not not neccesarily affect engine operating temperatures.
You're looking too far into what you and I have stated and you're adding on terms, operating temps weren't stated earlier, only the combustion/motor/engine bay temps, until just then in your last post, but I guess we can add that on too.
Let me get this straight. What you've typed, looks to me like you're saying that if a motor runs lean, it's not going to generate more heat to raise engine temps, operating or other? Is that correct?
ORIGINAL: echostats

BOOM goes your engine.
It sure would, with or without the EGR. As long as you know what you're doing, that's what tuning is for, to make sure it doesn't happen. My engine temps went up MAYBE 5 degrees, according to DSMLink after removing my EGR....does that warrant concern? Sure, if +5 degrees concerns you, but, No. Am I running leaner/richer without an EGR? No. Engine knock has not been affected, note that I also have an FMIC. I lost 20 miles from a full tank.
You guys make it sound like the EGR system dropps combustion temps down by 20 degrees or more, lol.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 PM

ok wow if some one can give me a simple answer PLEASE! is blocking off my egr going to blow my motor or cause any damege at all! or arepeople juts going crazy about this, i mind you this is a 420a eclipse that i am going to do this toso please tell me what is best!
i just want to get rid of all the hanging stuff thats below my short ram intake that isnt going eny where, you see i have new headers and i dont have eny of the egr stuff hooked up to it, so every thing that is conected to the egr system is just hanging there"besides the pipe that is bolted to the block and the intake mani!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

no, you wont be able to raise engine temps by removing the EGR. the cooling system will be easily able to handle the added combustion temps. you will just suffer from a massive increase in NOX, and an overall lean situation until the fuels system catches up to the extra air supplied. then you will lose the milage, and probably trigger a fuel trim code (depending on the year of your car).
Carbon is removed from the intake tract when the EGR is removed.
no, thats not right either. There is no "carbon" that is being recycled through your car. you are getting inert, combusted gasses assuming perfect combustion. Of course, this isnt a perfect world, and carbon is present in the fuel you're placing in your car. But that has actually underwent a chemical change after it was combusted as well, into CO and CO2 (as well as other wonderful chemicals). The carbon that shows up in your intake manifold regardless of EGR is mostly from evaporating fuel.
Why does everyone try to keep folks from doing this?
because its utterly stupid. You gain absolutly NOTHING. You loose milage, raise combustion temp, and pollute more.
I am always amazed at the way people try to re-engineer a well thought out car.
If you're worried about your air, petition the local tracks, hell, petition NASCAR!! Have the gov't take away old muscle car roaming around the streets of America, tell those bikers to get rid of their bikes, you know those big burly guys! Our motors will run fine with or without them, period. If guys don't want to take yours off or can't because of emission laws...don't, plain and simple. You guys crack me up.
well, they are trying to take away the old muscle cars and they are placing the same emission standards on new motorcycles, but you're talking apples to oranges. There are what, 140 million cars in america? how many do you think are classic muscle cars out of that? less than 1 percent? and how many are driven daily to and from work?

why is it when someone voices that emission standards are a good thing, someone else comes along and thinks thats a sign of weakness by boasting how insignificant it is? look around.. our world is becoming more and more disgusting every year.
I just assume do my part to be socially responsable.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 PM

i know it wont blow up the 4g63. I know SOOOOO many people who do it.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 PM

You guys make it sound like the EGR system dropps combustion temps down by 20 degrees or more, lol.
egr drops combustion temps by many hundreds of degrees. it also slows combustion.
NOX forms when combustion temps hit about 2500 degrees, which is what the EGR was designed to reduce in the first place. Using inert gases from the EGR drops those temps immensely.
Contrary to popular belief, a properly operating EGR actually increases the efficiency of gasoline engines.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: bud660r

ok wow if some one can give me a simple answer PLEASE! is blocking off my egr going to blow my motor or cause any damege at all! or arepeople juts going crazy about this, i mind you this is a 420a eclipse that i am going to do this toso please tell me what is best!
i just want to get rid of all the hanging stuff thats below my short ram intake that isnt going eny where, you see i have new headers and i dont have eny of the egr stuff hooked up to it, so every thing that is conected to the egr system is just hanging there"besides the pipe that is bolted to the block and the intake mani!
removing it will do what Ive already said.. raise emissions and combustion temps, whilst lower milage. Depending on the year, it will also trigger a "check engine" light, and if you live in state that has manditory emission testing, you will fail due to that.
not to mention thats its a federal law to not tamper with it.
but if you must have it "look good" under the hood for the once a month you open it, so be it. its your car. You will not "blow up" your engine.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:30 AM

You're looking too far into what you and I have stated and you're adding on terms, operating temps weren't stated earlier, only the combustion/motor/engine bay temps, until just then in your last post, but I guess we can add that on too.
I was merely being MORE specific differentiating the terms as they represent two completely different values.

Let me get this straight. What you've typed, looks to me like you're saying that if a motor runs lean, it's not going to generate more heat to raise engine temps, operating or other? Is that correct?
That's exactly what i'm saying. Engine operating temps is based on coolant temperature readings- normally between the ranges of 180-220F. Combustion temperatures can reach over 2000F- anything over 2500F is considered NOx territory. You can easilymistakenlyrun super lean mixtures without affecting the cooling system. NOx combined with certain chemicals in the atmosphere results in Photochemical Smog. Photochemical Smog is the smog you can visibly see (ie, Los Angeles county with it's daily dark cloudy smog formation- see below).What do DON'T see is what is doing all the damage to the ozone. All EGR attempts to do is keep combustion temps below this temperature range.

J

Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Now that you have both sides Bud. You decide what you want to do.
Not every motor is the same, but removing mine was a neutral experience. I don't think I'm helping the ozone either because I'm usually in higher RPMs and boosting...whether high or low, I'm still boosting ...so the EGR would do my motor no good (and I'm an easy driver compared to the other Hawaii drivers). Yours may have an actual use if you use the interstate a lot.

Quick Reply: EGR block off!