PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

FPR setting

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Default FPR setting

I am installing a Aeromotive FPR and Gauge on my 99 gs-t. I wanted to know how I set the fuel pressure and to what pressure doI set it. I already have a 190L fuel pump and I'm running 16 psi.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: FPR setting

at idle you want the fuel pressure to be 35psi

Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 AM

Well, once you put the vacuum line back on it will be close to that TE.
To set it, you must remove the vacuum line that goes to it. Loosen the lock nut and use an allen wrench to adjust the AFPR to 43.5psi....43 is good. Lock it down, then put the vacuum line back on and the gauge should drop to 35-ish. That will depend on your vacuum. Your boost gauge, if it shows hg, should be around 18-20 hg. Any more or any less will inversely show on the fuel gauge.
You do have a fuel gauge, right?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 AM

this is the kit that I will be getting. http://www.slowboyracing.com/estore/...=85&page=1
The guy that works at slowboy told me to set it at 46 psi. Also where and how do you install the guage? on top of the fuel filter?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 AM

heads up....thats exactly what i bought and i ended up having 2 send it 2 aeromotive 2 get it fixed cause it was leaking when i got it from Slowboy...not sayin it was Slowboys fault but they didnt give a rats *** 2 helpin me get it fixed..id go somewhere else and get it..just my 2 cents tho..

Old 03-16-2007, 03:47 AM

If I could, I'd recommend getting an Aeromotive AFPR kit from ImportEvolution.
Like this SS kit, you still need the gauge though, it's linked on the page. $209+$25 for the gauge. Click the pic for the site...
/

..or this one from the same site. $189+$25 for a gauge.

Both from ImportEvolution and shipping is fairly quick.....not like Slowboy. I got mine from them and customer service was really good....unlike Slowboy.

Also, 43.5psi is stock for a 2G, not 46psi, as 37psi is the stock setting for a 1G. Do you have global and deadtime control? You don't need the FPR set to 46psi. I have 780cc injectors and a 255lph pump and I'm set at 43.5-ish. Ask the Slowboy guy why he suggested 46psi, if he says it's because it should be, say thank you and hang up.

I'm puzzled as to why he said that and I'm curious to know.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:06 AM

Thanks you guy for all the info I will keep you posted on what I decide to do. Also what is global and deadtime control? My current system has the stock filter, injectors and rail. I do have the 190L pump. that is it for the fuel mods.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:23 AM

Sorry, those are DSMLink terms.
There are three main parts of the fuel adjustment dialog: global fuel, dead time, and the typical RPM-based adjustments that you might expect to see. Global fuel and dead time are adjustments that get applied all the time. These adjustments are provided to compensate for aftermarket injectors. RPM-based adjustments are only made during certain modes of open loop operation in the ECU, primarily the WOT open loop mode. The fuel adjustments dialog is shown below.
Aftermarket injectors are sized "larger" than the factory injectors so as to provide more fuel in the same amount of time. This scaling of fuel flow is easy to calculate and deal with. Simply divide the old flow rate by the new rate and subtract 1 to estimate the "global" adjustment you need in order to compensate for the new injectors. As an example, consider the case of 720 cc/min injectors. Adjustment = 450 / 720 - 1.0 = 0.625 - 1.0 = -0.375 or -37.5% So in order to scale the ECU's fuel curve down to compensate for 720 injectors, we would need to reduce the ECU's fuel calculations by 37.5%. But there's a trade off with larger injectors. You don't just get more fuel flow; you also get slower response. The ECU takes into account the response characteristics of the factory injectors when calculating how long to "fire" them. It first calculates an appropriate time from airflow, knock, and all sorts of other data. It then adds an amount of time based on battery voltage to account for how long it will take the injector to physically open up after being told to do so. This injector response time is referred to as dead time, dwell time, saturation time, and probably a whole slew of other names. It's a characteristic of injector design and size. The Dead time area of the Fuel Adjustment dialog is where you can make adjustments to this dead time figure. The value entered into this area gets added to the value calculated by the ECU. While there is a way to calculate what this value should be, a trial and error approach tends to work best. Use the long-term fuel trim (LTFT) value calculated by the ECU as your guide. The following outlines a good procedure for getting the dead time right for your setup. [ul][*]Car must be fully warmed up then must be operated at cruise for about 10 minutes followed by idle for 5 minutes to get stable LTFT values.[*]Compare the LTFT at idle and cruise. You want both to be right about zero.[*]If the two are about the same, dead time setting is good.[*]If they are equal but non-zero, adjust the global setting.[*]If idle LTFT is more positive than cruise LTFT, increase the dead time, less, decrease.[/ul]

Old 04-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Ok I got the kit from importtuners and I installed it. How ever i can't seem to get it to stop leaking. I used the teflon tape and tightened the fittings down as hard as I can. I also wanted to kno w what PSI the guage should read after I set the PSI to 43 and reconnect the vaccume line? Mine dops to around 34 or so. is that to low and maybe a reason why my car is running lean?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Well 34 or 35 is about right so i don't think thats why your running lean.....As far as the leak?...where is it coming from?

Quick Reply: FPR setting