PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

I think im fuel cutting if anyone can help please do

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Default I think im fuel cutting if anyone can help please do

I have a 98 GSX everytime i boost 10 or more pounds it feels like its cutting i think its fuel. i pressure cheked the line and im well within spec so i know its not the pump. also, im waisting too much gas way more htan normal a quarter tank will take me about 30 miles you can even smell it in the exhaust, unburned fuel. so i know im running ritch. i repleased front O2 sensor replaced plugs and wires replaced fuel filter and still doing it. and its not throwing any DTC's if anyone can give me some opinions i would aprreciate it

Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned
Default RE: I think im fuel cutting if anyone can help please do

boost leak.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

i doubt its a boost leak cuz i dont think the car wouldntboost right but this is more fuel. It sounds like something is telling it drop more fuel in and its overloading the injectors giving boost cut. Do you have a check engine light

Old 03-01-2008, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

i doubt its a boost leak cuz i dont think the car wouldntboost right but this is more fuel. It sounds like something is telling it drop more fuel in and its overloading the injectors giving boost cut. Do you have a check engine light
hense a boost leak. a boost leak will make you run rich like that john. the car can run fairly normal even with a boost leak. I would suggest doing a boost leak test before anything since it is the cheapest and easiest solution.

Have you changed anything on the car prior to this problem starting??

Old 03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

It will still boost that.... but with a lot more fuel in the mixture. A huge astronomical boost leak would prevent you from reaching that boost, and due to the massive change in a/f ratio, the car wouldnt even move.

Thanks Mike : )

Old 03-01-2008, 05:48 PM

well what happens on boost leaks is the turbo ends up working harder. and if the MAF is making readins for X amout of airflow yet some of that air is not making it into the motor then john what does that give you? added fuel for the MAF reading x amount of air. when that air is not present you burn extra fuel and run nice and rich ,you know that

Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

Yup

Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM

I recently did a boost leak test and i couldnt find any leaks. alot of people tell me im fuel cutting and that i need to upgrade my fuel pump. but i dont think thats the case. I think this car should handle more than 10psi before it cuts. plus if it was the pump than why am i running extremly ritch. i tested my MAF sensor today. its good. im running out of options the only other thing that i think it might be is a bad ECU but i dont think so.i bought the car not too long ago and the bad thing is that the other owner was messing with the car and put all kinds of things into it and took everything off when he sold the vehicle. things would be alot easier if the car was stock. its got 3 inch downpipe full exhaust blowout vale boost control and i took a look at the ECU and i can definetly tell someone been playing with some wires in there. so i dont know what to do. Thanks alot guys for your comments you guys are great. keep them coming

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 PM

are you on the stock tuurbo? does it have an SAFC or anything. what type of boost controller does it have? Try lowering the boost controller all the way so its setup to run off the wastgate only and see.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 PM

i took off the boost controler and routed all the vacum hoses back to stock and every once in a while when i dont fuel cut i boost around 15-16 pounds. i think thats a little too much for a stock turbo. im not sure if its a stock turbo. but i think the waste gate should open up sooner than 15psi. i want to get a AFC to get the vehicle tuned but im not sure if that would fix the problem. but know that im reading some messages i think ive noticed that even when i boost ten psi the engine does not feel like a strong pull it it used to but i guess its cause air/fuel is all out of spec.

Quick Reply: I think im fuel cutting if anyone can help please do