PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

I think im fuel cutting if anyone can help please do

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Default RE: I think im fuel cutting if anyone can help please do

i bought the MAS airflow sensor clener and i cleaned it today hoping it would make it better but it didnt. about a month ago i got one dtc it was p0170 fuel mixture something i dont remember exactly and when that fault was stored my car did not fuel cut anymore. the car felt very different. full power. it would boost up to 15 or 16 psi with no problem the engine felt strong like it was all fixed. but as soon as i cleared the fault it started doing it again. thats when i replaced the O2 sensor but did not fix it

Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 AM

stock boost is 10-12 you should NOT boost more than that if your running the off the gate. So you have a engine light on right now still or not? Do you have a wideband?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM

No i dont have the chk engine light on. and i been wanting to get a wideband and an AFC but first im trying to figure out whats wrong with this before i spend $500 bucks on that stuff. i want to get it to a ponit were it boosts fine without cutting. all my vacum hoses are routed to stock settings. and like i said sometimes i boost up to 15psi. some people tell me that i boost more due to the downpipe. but i still think that the wastegate is opening too late 15 psi is too much for a stock gate. witch leads me to think that i might not have stock turbo eventhough the turbo housing looks stock.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Pics of the turbo. what year car? 98 right? A t28 uses stock houseing. a 16G uses a 14b stock housing from a 1G which under the hood will look stock

Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 PM

i been trying to upload pics but i cant. this sucks. yeah the car is 98. and i dont know why my car is boosting 15 pounds

Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM

I think im going to check for boost leacks again. cause right now i can only boost 10psi it i go over 10 i start cutting. but what i noticed is that even the 10 psi does not feel srtong. if im in 3rd gear and i accel and boost 10 psi it dont feel like much. it just seems like the air is just passing through. so ill do another boost leak test this week. any other ideas on what it could be? maybe ijust need a tune? i dont know what the hell the previous owner did to it, thats what sucks

Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 PM

Well list to us all the mods the car has. and get a pic of that turbo maybe we can atleast tell if its a 16G

Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 PM

you know what i think you were right i might have a boost leak. when i boost i hear the sucking of the intake but i think i also hear air coming out of the blow off. i think my HKS blow off is leaking boost. today i tried driving to work 38 miles on the highway. normally it takes me a quarter tank and i tried not boosting anything. not even one psi. and i saved ALOT of gas. it seems like i waist alot of gas only when im boosting. i think maybe thats why im cutting ill have to chek for boost leaks again. do you think that it could be the HKS blow off? is that common. and can i adjust it or would i need a new one?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 PM

The HKS BOV can only leak if it is put on wrong or a knock off fake version otherwise its design is unleakable persay. HOWEVER it is also a HORRIBLE valve for Mitsus and id suggest removing it. Are you having trouble with it only when your flooring it or when your at like half throttle?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM

well if i floor the car it boosts up to 10 pretty quick but it cuts off right a way at exactly 10 psi every time. and if i go half throttle i could hear it more clearly. i hear two things the sucking of the turbo and air going through the air cleaner , and a whistleing sound kinda like a blow off valve and as soon as i release the throttle the sudden purge from the valve. i work for VW as a tech. but im not too familiar with Mitsu unlike you guys.so i takethe car in the shop and try to diagnose the problem once a week.I was thinking maybe i can open up the blow off and try to see if the diaphram can probably be adjusted. that is if i find it leaking from the valve when i do the boost leak test. what do you think? first i want to get this thing running right before putting performance stuff into it. if i do find the valve leaking what do you think i should do?

Quick Reply: I think im fuel cutting if anyone can help please do