Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Evo 9 Vs. My GST!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Default Evo 9 Vs. My GST!

hey guys, there is this guy that is dying to run me. he owns a new evo 9 with exhaust and intake. I wont run him from a stop, trust me I aint that stupid. I'll run him from a roll for sure. But here are my mods:

Evo3 Big 16g
Greddy Evo2 catback
Megan Downpipe
Evo3 o2 housing
DEJON FMIC! (almost finished) with piping
Intake w/ K&N filter
Greddy Type RS BOV
Voodoo MBC
Boost gauge
Removed BCS

How do you guys think I would do. Of course i am gonna run him whenever i finish my timing belt and of course after i have broken in my car in. What do you guys think?

Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Default RE: Evo 9 Vs. My GST!

He'll most likely get you slowly. I ran my buddy's EVO 9 and he had an intake, cat-back, and some other things but I forget.
I still had my smic and I was running 14-15psi on the big28 and he slowly walked past me. I run 21psi now and with a fmic and running strong...but my buddy has also upgraded to all hard piping, turbo back and an email tune, he's pretty quick and ran 340awhp on the dynojet.
The 16g that you have is still smaller and slower spooling than his, not to mention the EVO is tuned to run 280-290awhp (help me out here Emonz) stock. You also didn't mention a fuel upgrade which means that you're still on stock fuel. He'll walk you...please don't take offense to that, I'm just saying.
That is unless he's a bad driver and just can't shift within his RPM power range.

BTW, you stated you removed your BCS, do you mean the BCS restrictor? The 2Gs need all their solenoids electrically connected, even if they aren't used, to keep from throwing up the CEL. I also kinda giggled at that because you have an MBC so the BCS restrictor is kind of irrelevant, lol (if the restrictor is what you meant, if not, I hope you still have it electrically connected).

Old 01-20-2007, 10:44 AM

EVO IX stock is in teh 12s he is prob low\mid 12s already I bet he would win.

The EVO IX tubo is not even a real 16G it is more like a 20G. They ae also MIVEC so spool times are rediculous forget about lag you wont get him there either. If he is not tuned he is runnng rich and may fuel cut easily cause they run really rich stock

Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 AM

What boost are you both pushing?

Old 01-20-2007, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

What boost are you both pushing?
EVO stock 20.5... but he is probe around 22 now is my guess

Old 01-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Yes i am on stock fuel. He has intake and exhaust. Thats all I know. And yes, i did mention BCS but i guess i didnt mention if that counted.

How would i do if i just got a fuel pump? Set to 17psi?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:12 PM

How did you set your fuel pump to 17psi? Does that mean that you have an AFPR? If so, your fuel inline fuel pressure should be 43.5psi and not 17psi at idle.
Having a fuel pump won't help unless you're able to supply more at WOT into the chambers and larger injectors will do that for you, but not the stock injectors. You many hit fuel cut if you don't have an AFPR and too much boost.
An intake and exhaust won't take on an EVO though, sorry bro.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

How did you set your fuel pump to 17psi? Does that mean that you have an AFPR? If so, your fuel inline fuel pressure should be 43.5psi and not 17psi at idle.
Having a fuel pump won't help unless you're able to supply more at WOT into the chambers and larger injectors will do that for you, but not the stock injectors. You many hit fuel cut if you don't have an AFPR and too much boost.
I think your confused man, The EVO IX has intake and exhaust

He was asking how well he would do if he bought a fuel pump and upped the boost to 17PSI his mods as of now are in the 1st post

Old 01-20-2007, 11:42 PM

Yes! Thank Emonz. The Evo IX has intake and exhaust. I have the mods i listed on the 1st post. And i was wandering how would i do if i got a fuel pump and upted it to 17 psi?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

He was asking how well he would do if he bought a fuel pump and upped the boost to 17PSI his mods as of now are in the 1st post
Ah, I misread what he stated in his last post.

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

You would give him a run for his money if he stays stock and if you get fuel injectors with something to tune with. Evo316G equiped DSMs have run in the low 11's, but it takes all the supporting mods and a good tune, not to mention good fuel.

I would also suggest getting NGK 7ES plugs and at least 8mm wires and get rid of the your 6ES plugs and wires. That will help with a cleaner ignition or burn.

I also don't know about running the 16g at 17psi, that may be a bit high and you may end up hitting fuel cut or having high EGTs. Stay in the 15psi range...a 16G @ 15psi is not the same as a T25 @ 15psi. The T25 is probably running 250CFMs (that's all it can do) at that point and blowing a lot of hot air while the 16G is flowing 300-350CFM. That's a lot of air without fuel compensation and that will eventually equate to a lean condition which leads to a hotter motor and possible detonation.
You're fine to play around, but stay in the safe zone of your motor. You only have a light mod list with big items and they are the "go faster and go boom" mods because you don't have sufficient fuel upgrades.

Don't rush it bro. You're on the right track, but just because you have a higher flowing turbo and fmic doesn't mean that you should crank it up right off the bat...That's a big mistake with a lot of turbo owners. The turbo's supporting mods make your car faster, not the turbo alone.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 Vs. My GST!