Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

getting off the line

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 06:49 PM
Default getting off the line

i just got a 2000 eclipse GT and dont race to often cuz its stock but when i do i tend to spin off the line and it usually costs me the race agianst my friends rear wheel drive V6 trans am so if anyone could help me out with some advice to get off the line faster and with less spin that would be great.( the car is manual by the way and sometimes it will spin all the way through 2nd gear and chirp into 3rd)

Old 09-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Default RE: getting off the line

1. if your reving the engine all the way up, dont. you can usually get a decent launch from about 3k-35k rpms, anywhere in there, tires will grip much better, also if you have the stock factory tires i would recommend new ones. softer rubber = better grip. if your tires are cold when you come off the line that will also effect the grip of the tire.
2. concrete is better to race on than asphault. asphault is slick, concrete is rough, so again you get better traction.
3. dont just drop the clutch coming off, you can always feel when the tire is gonna spin and when its gonna grip.
4. PRACTICE, the more you practice the better you get, just make sure you practice launching correctly, no point if your doin it wrong, you just tear up your tires.
5. small mods can make a big difference. things such as plug wires, new plugs, CAI, etc. made a huge diff. in the way my car performed. some cars react to mods differently than others, just depends on how well you maintain it, if you drive it hard, its obviously gonna be a little more work to maintain.
6. regular fluid changes help.
ummm..... thats about all i can think of without gettin to in-depth. anyone else

Old 09-01-2004, 07:07 PM

Yeah just do a few launches to get a feel for the car, don't drop the clutch ease it out, and just do that for awhile and you will get a feel for it and be able to get a good launch.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:01 AM

1398spdr i was wandering if you could better explain what a cai is and how much it costs and were to get it at.. also if you know of any internet sites that have parts for the newer eclipses "IE 2000" and thank you so much for the advice on the take off i have been practicing and its getting better

Old 09-03-2004, 08:08 PM

a cai is short for Cold Air Intake, they usually run anywhere between 80 and 120 $, depending on the make. you can go to a local performance shop and get them, usually they have to order it for you, or theres always good ol' ebay, just be carefull with ebay, cause you dont always get everything you need to hook it up properly, and a lot of times its a generic product, or even homemade, labeled like an aftermarket product.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:47 AM

Hey whats up v8killer. Try lowering your tire pressure in the front, also you want a take off to where the tires are barley spining but yet hooking up at the same time, this is a perfect launch. Remember practice makes perfect, I got good by going to test and tune nights alot.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:07 PM

Good job on the gear launching techniques 1398spdr. Hsmracing, nice tip also, not a lot of people(street racers, that is) know about how tire pressure affects traction. Keep these tips coming, i'm resuming where i left off and will be trying to create something like the Vfaqs, just more updated.

I have a tip also, if you get too much wheelspin and start to encouter wheel hop(you'll know wheel hop when you get it), upgrade the motor mounts.
And man, with a name like v8killer....well....that's like flipping off every trans-am and cobra owner out there. Just don't put it on your liscenes plate!

Old 09-17-2004, 08:46 PM

y not, if i could kill a v8 thats what id have on my plates...... hehe.........

Old 11-16-2004, 09:46 AM

Do u launch off the handbrake? Hold the handbrake up so u can concentrate on the clutch and throttle. You don't have to be high in the rev range to get a good launch, it depends on where the torgue curve is, mines strongest about 2500-3000, but having not driven ur car i can't comment. As for CAI, just make it yourself. Modify the airbox or plain stick a POD filter on behind a heat sheild, then run some piping up from the bumper to the POD. Easy

Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 AM

If the ground is level, I leave my car in neutral, no brakes, it won't roll anywhere, so why break? :P

Quick Reply: getting off the line