Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Technique

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Default Technique

I'm trying to learn some techniques. My old trusty 95 eclipse gs has been destroying civics and the like in my part of georgia for sometime, but a new breed of drivers is coming out now and I want to have the skills to take them on. so whats the deal with power shifting? Id ask about heel toe too but I dont have enough room in there to pull it off.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Technique

there are two techniques:
1. every time you shift you keep your foot on the gas floored, never letting up (usually will bounce off the rev limiter) this is more beneficial for turbo cars, it will keep the turbo spooling
2. every time you shift you just throw the shifter in to the next gear as hard as you can, not using your clutch pedal at all.

im pretty sure the 2nd one is power shifting an the first is something else but i wouldnt do either unless your a baller and can afford a new tranny every other month your racing for pinkslips and just CANT let yourself lose

Old 03-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

"power shifting" is when you rip the shifter from gear to gear without the clutching. it is very very bad for the tranny....for racing purposes i would recommend idea number 1...that is what i do when i track the car...you dont neccessarily have to hold it at the rev limited, but as where when you regularly shift and there is some timing with gas to clutch....you want to be early with the gas, thus forcing the RPMs much higher than normal, and you want you left foot to never stop moving...there is no holding the clutch in...put it in only far enough to get it to the next gear, and then let it all the way out, all at once..so ease the clutch down, get to your gear, and yank your foot away as fast as possible..no slip at all..in, out, with excessive rpms...it should jerk the car forward...because the tranny is trying to catch up to the rpm speed of the engine when the synchro;s engage...its a good time...god i miss my 5 speed...[&o]

Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Yea, do a little playing around (gently of course) to see how far you actually have to push in the clutch to change gears. In my car it's a fraction of the overall travel before you hit the floor. Quick shifts can make a huge differance in how fast you are when you're racing or whatever.