Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in?

01 3.0 eclipse bottoming out (cut bump stop already)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Default 01 3.0 eclipse bottoming out (cut bump stop already)

i have eibach springs and eibach lowering springs with adjustable camber kits and all. i have 18in rims with 245 40 18 tires on front(used to be 225 but same problem) this car still bottoming out when going to a hole on the road and it feels like my car will xplode. i already cut the bump stops before and i even cut a little bit off some more. i dont know what to do anymore. i spent almost 2 grand about 7 years ago and up until now i have no answer. since i got them fixed from a shop, this car would bottom out once every month because i only use my car from home to work, i would have this problem only when am going somewhere where i dont know the road to avoid bottoming out. what else should i do besides cutting the bump stop into half? shocks are still good because there is really no problem except when i hit a hole on the road thats it. anyone can help?ty

Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

i really have no idea why you would have a problem. I have known people with even a more agressive setup and never had a problem. What springs are they since eibach has 2 types. Also please give me an exact setup of the springs/camber kit/struts

Old 06-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
i really have no idea why you would have a problem. I have known people with even a more agressive setup and never had a problem. What springs are they since eibach has 2 types. Also please give me an exact setup of the springs/camber kit/struts
thanks for the reply. i didnt know there are two type of set ups. all i know is that the car is fine driving in flat road not on holes. is it maybe my 3.0 engine? the back has no problem at all and am using eibach springs and kit and all(same as the front) the back hits a hole but it doesnt xlode like the front.but i am going to check the shock at front to see if they are bad by pushing it down, and see if it will go up and down to determine if i have bad shocks.but i did that and you cant even push it down it just stays up quickly after you push it down.agen thnx for the reply

Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

thats not really how you check a shock. Usually you will see the top of the shock area leaking a bit from being blown. Do you notice anything clanking in the suspension area when you hit a bump or is it just the bumper hitting that makes a noise.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Sorry to chime in but are there modifications/suggestions to keep the eclipse models and especially the spyders from constantly bottoming out on the front ? I have a curb at the end of my driveway and have to VERY VERY carefully back off it in a specific way. I also can't drive on most anything that is sloped more that ten degrees or so. I have torn through one car bra already just visiting a McDonalds with a large sloping exit drive. I also have bought an entire new front bumper cover and had it painted to match but am keeping it in reserve for a future date as the bra covers the tiny crack on the right in front of the tire.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'm betting you have a blown strut. When all the fluid leaks out of a strut and you hit a bump it'll sound like the strut is gonna go threw the hood.

*Edit Are you using the stock struts w/ the eibach springs?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 PM

I had the suspension and components checked at the dealer when I bought the car. Everything was fine. The struts are KYB brand and were replaced in 2006 by the previous owner. It's very stiff on cornering etc and I have no bounce or secondary bounce feeling over bumps even when backing over my curb .. It just sits so da&# low. It has 15 inch tires that are somewhat low profile. Thanks for you response. Maybe I just need to watch more where I drive. The car has only about 3 1/2 inch clearance so maybe things have been lowered below factory spec. I can corner like crazy.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

I am willing to bet someone has already put lowering springs on your car (brokedad)

And to the OP like dsm1990gsx said, its probably a blown strut. That will happen when you use lowering springs on oem struts

Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM

thanks for all the replies. does the oem front shocks have the adjustable thingy on top of the shocks under the hood? i bought this car brand new and went to the shop about 2002 to change everything and lowered it using high performance shocks. i have the yellow koni at the back but i have a black front shocks in the front(i might have been duped on front shocks) but it has this adjustable lever on top. how do i adjust them?left (to tighten) or right (to dampen it?) i have no idea how the adjustable lever on top works.someone enlighten me? if the shocks on front were still the oem ones then i had been duped.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
I'm betting you have a blown strut. When all the fluid leaks out of a strut and you hit a bump it'll sound like the strut is gonna go threw the hood.

*Edit Are you using the stock struts w/ the eibach springs?
i have yellow koni at the back thats for sure. but front ones might have been oems but am not sure(it has the adjustable lever on top of the shocks under the hood) i paid for 4 shocks at the time. no leaks btw.

Quick Reply: 01 3.0 eclipse bottoming out (cut bump stop already)