Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in?

Lowering springs or Coilovers!?

Old 11-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Default Lowering springs or Coilovers!?

I have a 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder with 19 x 7.5 Foose Lussos! I want to lower it so that the wheel fenders sit just over the tires without any scrubbing? Any suggestions? Im running 215/35/19 tires!? Is there any ride difference with springs as compared to coilovers? Whats the difference? Ive seen some coilover sets as low as $50 compared to high end Tiens for over a $1000...whats da difference? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lowering springs or Coilovers!?

any coilovers under 700-800 are a POS. Usually they are the ones that dont come with shocks. If thats the case then they arnt even true coilovers. Springs can give you a good ride if you get some nice struts with them as well. So for like 550 you could have some nice springs and struts or you could pay 800-1000 for coilovers. With the rims youve got on there your gonna want to find something that doesnt have a reall big drop cuz i dont think you have much clearance. Maybe look into eibach. Or coilovers are definetly the easiest way to go cuz then you can adjust to fit how you want.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:24 PM

NO!!!!!!!! [:@] i just took off some of those stupid coilovers. they suck!! i replaced with KYB gr2's and some DZ sports drop springs, and a rear camber kit. rides really nice. go with the springs!!

Old 11-12-2006, 04:57 AM

No love for the coilovers...even Ground Controls in here, eh.

Bottom line is, if you want close to stock ride, then stick with lowering springs and whatever shocks you can afford (ususally KYB GR2s work well).
If you are trying to get more suspension performance, then get "real" coilovers or "real" coilover conversions (don't forget adjustable shocks with the conversions).

As for lowering on 19s..as long as the overall stock circumference is kept, then you can lower your car as low as it will go (just like on the stock 16" rims). Just becaus the rims are bigger doesn't mean that the entire wheel is going to be and sure isn't going to fill the wheel well and if it does, then your speedo is waaaaaaay off and the car's overall performance has just been lowered (no pun intended).

Old 11-12-2006, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

No love for the coilovers...even Ground Controls in here, eh.

haha no love for those cheap fake coilovers.........man i tell you i hated those things with a passion.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 AM

Those cheap coilovers are the worst thing anyone can get. The spring rates are so light. I don't even think that they are as high as the stock spring rate. You do save money, but you'll only spend more in the end by saving up front.

I don't mind the tight suspension. Ground Controls with 500/350-ish...f/r spring rates and Koni's (because of their valving I believe) are recommended by most 2g autocrossers. On top of that, I'm lowered, I need stiffer springs to keep from scraping everywhere I go.
With adjustable shocks, local driving isn't as harsh as some folks used to tell me. Oh yeah, if you like the stock ride, don't get spring rates like I mentioned, lol. You'll bust something inside of you, lol. And Ground Control, off the shelf, spring rates are 400/200..f/r. That's a bit stiffer than the stock rates..265/140 f/r. Knowing the spring rates are key for both stock and aftermarket...

Original: ProStreetMotorsports

Stock (Non Turbo/Auto Tranny/Manual Tranny):

* OEM Stock 1G FWD
Front: 134
Rear: 128.8
OEM Stock 1G AWD
Front: 146
Rear: 140
95-96 OEM Stock 2G AWD
Front: 265
Rear: 162 (+/- 8)
97-99 OEM Stock 2G AWD
Front: 246
Rear: 151
95-96 OEM Stock 2G FWD
Rear: 173
97-99 OEM Stock 2G FWD
Rear: 151

Old 11-16-2006, 01:51 AM

Thanks for the info! Right now my ride sucks...i feel every bump in the road..dont know if its due to the low pro tires or the fact that the suspension hasnt been treated for anything since the purchase of the vehicle! I love the wheels they look really nice on the Spyder! I want a comfortable ride with a nice looking stance...lowered cuz there is alot of wheel weld space....what is going to give me the most comfortable ride for around $400-$500 including labor!?? Suggestions?

Old 11-16-2006, 02:46 AM

Hmmm, sounds like the low pro tires giving you the "feel" of the road alright.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

you could easily get some nice springs and struts for around 500.

Tien S-tech= $150
Either tokico or KYB's will run about 220-240

so thats actually only $390 but you might want better springs like eibach instead, or adjustable struts. These are just to give you an idea of the options

Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 PM

I think im gonna go da spring and struts route! So adjustable struts allow you to raise and lower the car with the lowering springs...correct? Also to another subject...tune up!? When I do a tune up what aftermarket plugs and wires would you guys recommend? What else does da Eclipse require when you do a major tune up!? Secondly in the 2.4 sohc cam motor what is the best bang for the buck as far as power mods...i heard that the engine that i have is a great one considering its one of the only motors that mitsubishi actually puts in the eclipse...not a dodge motor???? I was told that this motor takes boost really well....however dont know that my budget would allow me to do that right now!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering springs or Coilovers!?