2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Default CV Axle

97 GST 150K. Well, I was almost home last night. I turned the corner on my street and at first I thought I just missed 2nd gear. I tried again and nothing happened...I just coasted to a stop. No noises or anything, the engine was running fine. I found I could shift into any gear without the clutch. Putting the clutch in didn't affect anything. I got out and looked behind the drivers side front wheel. I could see the shaft turning freely along with the engine? Nothing seemed to be hanging.

The clutch was just rebuilt two, three years ago and I am not hard on it - this is my daily driver. I am about to go out and take a look but I thought I would put this out there for any suggestions for when I come back in. Any thoughts about what I am going to find? What to check specifically?

Doug

Last edited by djailer; 12-03-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 AM

And the reveal...The axle didn't break, but somehow it popped out of the hub.

I have had the car for three years. The previous owner says it is lowered 3" and I guess I believe it. I can't get my floor jack under it unless I get it started in the wheel well. Naturally the ride is pretty hard for a daily driver. I have stumbled into a pot hole or bump now and then and jarred my teeth but nothing else has ever come of it.

When I made the left turn I ran through a rough part in the road and somewhere between the start of the turn and after the rough spot is where I guess it popped out.

Is this something that all the stars lined up for and just happened? I figure the suspension is pretty tight and should not normally allow enough travel for the axle to pop out like that. The boot was off of the inner seal when I got the car in the air. The axle must've traveled quite a bit. When I took the hub off I noted that the joint was angled dramatically and it took a gentle tap to get it back to the center. All the bearings seem to be there and there is plenty of grease. Could it be bad anyway. I can always replace the joint but is there something else going on? I don't want to connect everything back up just to have it pop out again - this time maybe in a less convenient spot.

The other thing I am wondering is why the transmission wouldn't still work - at least somewhat? I assume the passenger side is OK, I will find out for sure when I get that side lifted. Don't both wheels get driven? If so it seems the passenger side should move when it is in gear?

Thanks for any insight.

Doug

Last edited by djailer; 12-04-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:57 PM

I decided I will be replacing the entire axle assembly...by the time I buy the outer CV - assuming I can even find it around here - and boot I will spend as much as an entire new axle w/both joints and boots - ($95). I don't have to worry about which part was bad and I won't get as greasy!!! ! New seal for the tranny side as well. 150K is pretty much the lifespan for a CV anyway from what I have been reading. Which means time to replace the passenger side as well.

To get the axle out I used another suggestion I found...remove the lower control arms on the body side and the wheel moves out enough to get the axle in and out...barely!! Those both just bolt back on - theoretically

Doug

Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM

good to see you got it worked out. thanks for the info