2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Taillight Fuse Keeps Blowing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Default Taillight Fuse Keeps Blowing.

Hey guys and gals. New here. I have scoured the internet for info on my problem and while many are the same situation, none have the right solution for me. Here are the facts:
1) 1999 Eclipse GS (2.0 L, non-turbo)
2) Taillights won't come on. Fuse (under-the-hood fuse box, 15A) keeps blowing the second I turn on my lights.
3) Brake lights work fine. Backup lights work fine. Though the blinkers do not. The blinkers are somehow wired to be the two red lights on either side, not the very outer lights.
4) Yes, I have installed an aftermarket headunit, but am positive everything is hooked up correctly and the ground wire is securely fastened to a grounding point. (I just rewired it today to make sure). But there is a "negative dimmer" on the stock harness that doesn't have a matching wire to the deck (Kenwood) so I just leave it wrapped and unconnected to anything.
5) My gauge lights don't work either. The fuse (driver's side inside) isn't blown.
6) Just the other night, I left my lights on by accident (because the *ding ding ding* goes off with the fuse) and my the battery died. My dad brought a portable jump starter, but it wasn't charged enough. Then my mom came by with jumper cables and we got it started, but then noticed the taillights and gauge lights didn't come on. I don't know if this is relevant, but everything (as far as i know) worked before this incident.
7) The tail lights themselves are fine. We unplugged those and tried another fuse and it still blew.
8) Headlights work fine.

I guess the common problem is a short somewhere, but where do I start looking? Help is much appreciated seeing as I can't drive at night.
Thanks in advance!
Ethan.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:42 PM

I would look around the tail lights.. if they were removed they could have pinched a wire during install and now it is grounding.. i've had it happen before. As far as your gauges.. trying opening up the steering column to make sure nothing is grounding. on the switch... even though that should blow your headlight fuse too... Try the tail lights first

Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 PM

Cool thanks! I'm going to unwrap some of the wires to see if there is some miswiring/faulty splices in the taillight area tonight.
Thanks again!