Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Timing belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Default 2001 Montero Timing belt problem

Over the last week I have been through hell and back trying to figure out a problem with my Montero. After I replaced the timing belt, it is idling so low that it dies at stops. It also is having a harder time shifting and won't go above 55mph. I have had it apart 3 times checking the timing. It is as close as I can get it with my limited knowledge, I have just recently bought the car. Looking for any advice anyone has. Of course go ahead and ask me any questions so you can figure out what stupid thing I did to make this happen.

-Thanks

Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 AM

dont blame yourself.
Timing teeth are usually about 10degrees, trust me, if youd put it in wrong youd know about it!
Carby or injectd? If its got electric **** thats where id start looking...

Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM

I cleaned the throttle body, I had been reading that it might cause the problem after the computer loses its settings while I had the battery unplugged. It didn't seem to make much of a difference. They said it might take a couple of weeks to get itself calibrated but I cant have it dying whenever I stop for long.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 AM

fill the tank and take the missus for a dirty weekend 400km away...

Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 AM

Lack of power and stalling at idle are classic examples of incorrect timing.
Perhaps get some one else to check your cam timing?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM

I had a similar issue once, and my mechanic said not to press the accelerator when you first start the engine after reconnecting the battery. Let it start on it's own and let it idle for about 5 minutes. That let's the computer reset itself.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 AM

I tried resetting the computer again and not hitting the gas but it didn't make any difference. I have my father in law today coming to check what he can but he also helped me put the belt on one of the times and it didn't work then either. I have lined up those timing marks more than a few times so I am not understanding what else I can do to get it any closer to time.

I believe it is out of time also, I am almost down to the last resort of tearing it apart again and making sure it is dead center with whatever means necessary.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Default Update

Did some checking today, compression is good so nothing too messed up yet. Found top dead center does not match up to the timing marks on the cam pulleys. When it is at TDC the mark on the crankshaft pulley matches the T mark on the Timing Indicator Bracket. Now I just noticed this timing indicator bracket, what is this for? It is not shown in the montero manual I have. Do I use it for lining anything up?

Really confused by the timing marks not having the pistons at TDC. The whole time I have felt like it was out of time but going based on the timing marks everything looked good.

Seeking any opinions before I do another complete tear down this weekend.