Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Advice ASAP Engine on,locked keys inside,in Podunk too

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Default How do you shut engine off with keys locked inside?

I just need some quick help if there is any.Ill write details if needed later when the pressures off.
My engine was running and I noticed the neg post was loose but when I twisted it the truck locked all doors with the keys & (most tools inside cause its raining) No one to bring me keys for another 6 or 7 hours. (Its now 1130 pst )By then Ill be out of gas and dark and raining and Im on a steep incline . The good news Im in my yard .. I tried to stop the engine so I disconneted the battery,but the engine alternator keeps it running.
IDEAS
1-I may have to try and stop up the intake at the intake hose with the screw clamp midway between engine and the air filter housing...
2- or I could stop up the exaust.The exaust may not be a good idea,anyone know for sure?

3-I thought I could jiggle the post connections and see if that reactivates the locking mechanism as before and if I can reach to both the post and the door,try to open it when it activates,but it probably only locks,not unlocks>locks,in which case that wont work.

Any helpful hints? Ill be back and forth in and out to check any replies. Thx in advance
Ill post to the other sport site since this is so urgent

Last edited by PalmSprings; 12-12-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: title needed to reflect question
Old 12-12-2014, 02:49 PM

After numbering them, I would pull the spark plug wires from the coils or block up exhaust

Last edited by IngusTokus; 12-12-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 PM

unplug the mass sensor or the ignition module

Old 12-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Default Idle Endurance run now over at 6h 30m .Might be a record wo trng ,just raw talent!.

Thanks for the replies. I recalled early on into this fiasco,that i had taken my door clicker off the key ring and put it somewhere a couple years back. ( it kept clicking when in my pocket with other keys or whatever else pressing against it) I couldnt recall where it migrated to) So i spent most of the next several hours looking for it thinking each minute Id find it . Never found it after 3 hrs or so so whats a couple more hours to let it idle? 6 hrs idling until the wife come home with her key .
For the Next key magnet, Ill need to secure a plastic coated cable or just aa length of bailing wire so it doesnt fall off the frame(where they ride securely usually) from the daily drive on my 3 mi rough dirt/rock driveway.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 12-13-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 AM

Have you though of plugging an air intake with something like a large rag and starving the engine of air. That should kill it. It will also be less painful than pulling a spark plug wire (unless you have very good insulating gloves)